UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"Earthlings" Movie

purple_mog

Apologies if most peeps have heard of or seen this movie already, apparently it came out in 2003 but has never been released in a cinema per se. Although some parts may be out of date, it still seems to hold many harsh realities. I haven't watched it yet, just saw some clips today but plan to watch it this week.

curious to see if anyone else has seen it? There's a free version on youtube as well I think.

Earthlings Link

I switched it on and scrolled down to the write up so missed whatever happens in the first minute. The parts I saw were of a whale and a cow being slaughtered in some kind of machine thing. It made me feel sick. Literally just saw a few seconds and it made me feel ill. I can't get the image of that cow out of my mind.

I made myself watch it all and I can't find words for how I feel. The skinned animal ,I don't know what it was,that was still alive and looking round will stay in my brain for ever. Yes,we eat the meat and use skins of animals but surely it could ,should MUST be done humanely. It is a horrific film but I feel that people should watch it and be aware of the cruelty humans inflict.x :mecry:

I can't face watching it at the moment :blush: I do what I can and try to be very conscious of not buying into animal cruelty but I do still eat dairy and I do buy some leather, I just try to do so as "ethically" as I can. I guess like many I "could do better" but I don't think I'm ignorant to what goes on and I know if I watch this it's going to affect me deeply - and I'm not sure that would be very helpful to me right now. Sorry.

I made myself watch it all and I can't find words for how I feel. The skinned animal ,I don't know what it was,that was still alive and looking round will stay in my brain for ever. Yes,we eat the meat and use skins of animals but surely it could ,should MUST be done humanely. It is a horrific film but I feel that people should watch it and be aware of the cruelty humans inflict.x :mecry:

I really didn't post the link to upset people, just that I only recently came across it and my personal choice to become a vegan was pretty much confirmed by the film. I was totally unaware that leather came from cows that were not used for meat, previously I felt that if we choose to eat meat and use the byproducts at least nothing was being wasted. Clearly not the case.

I would never wish to pass judgement on anyone in a situation past or present where there was no other option but to consume and use animals, but I personally now feel that there is no NEED for me to do so, therefore I choose not to. Its taken me a long time to get to this place, but I think I'm finally 'home'.

Ange - I really do understand where you are, but if you can make those decision in the knowledge of what happens then that's your choice? And there's never a need to apologise - its the contraversial thread after all!

• Like 1

I really didn't post the link to upset people, just that I only recently came across it and my personal choice to become a vegan was pretty much confirmed by the film. I was totally unaware that leather came from cows that were not used for meat, previously I felt that if we choose to eat meat and use the byproducts at least nothing was being wasted. Clearly not the case.

I would never wish to pass judgement on anyone in a situation past or present where there was no other option but to consume and use animals, but I personally now feel that there is no NEED for me to do so, therefore I choose not to. Its taken me a long time to get to this place, but I think I'm finally 'home'.

Respect to u for going vegan, a huge step and in my opinion the best one ppl can make. If i wasn't already vegan i'd have done the same after watching that! flowers.gif

I saw a link attached to the 'Bring Bruce Home' group on Facebook that took me through to another group called 'Stop The Usage of Dogs As Live Bait For Sharks'. As I scrolled down there was information from the same group regarding the skinning of live animals in China. It noted that undercover investigators from an animal rights group in the US had filmed the torture that these animals endured as a result of the fur trade in Asia. It said that the animals were suspended by the limbs whilst their fur was cut away from their skin. mecry.gif Many were still alive and struggled, only to be held down, beaten and then tossed onto a heap of carcasses to spend their last few moments of life in unimaginable pain and fear.

I was already in floods of tears when I read this, but then it went on to say that one Raccoon Dog, amongst the bloodied dead bodies, managed to lift it's head up and look into the camera. I think this must be the part of the film that Cher was referring to. Just seeing it written down in text was too much for me to bear, so I know that I couldn't watch the video. However, I do think that it is important that these films are made, as disturbing as they may be, so that people are aware that this type of thing still goes on in the 21st century. Too many people adopt the 'head in sand' policy.

I have to say that I am one of those vegans that shoves my opinions on everyone else around me, because it is something that I feel passionately about. I've lost count of the amount of times that I have been accused of ruining Sunday dinners! laugh.gif There was also a rather embarrassing incident back in March when I had a little too much wine at my Nan's 80th birthday party and started calling various family members murderous bastards for eating veal! I didn't actually remember any of this, but my Mum made sure to remind me the next day blush02.gif (I have since given up drinking!!)

Anyway, I'm going off topic. My point is that whilst this film is obviously deeply upsetting and disturbing, it might help people to make more ethical choices. I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that eat meat, but being animal lovers, would not knowingly support battery farming. Unfortuntely, amongst the general population, there are a lot of people out there that adopt the 'it's only an animal' attitude. Hopefully this film will be able to change some of those opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand and respect other peoples choice to become vegetarian or vegan in response to this kind of footage but that is not my choice. I haven't seen this film and maybe I would see it differently if I did but I have watched the trailer and have seen similar footage over the years, I still choose to eat meat. I do choose to eat meat from sources that I believe has ethically reared and killed the animals. I feel that if more people made this choice they would have a more positive effect on animal welfare than abstaining from eating meat. If increasing numbers of people move away from eating meat, those employed in the meat trade will source cheaper and cheaper meat in order to continue making a living and when the demand is for cheap meat, animal welfare will suffer. If the meat industry sees that the money is increasingly going to ethical farmers that is the way they will go, they won't start producing ethically reared more expensive meat in response to a dwindling industry. Not eating meat is a spoilt ballot paper if you like. Obviously if you believe that eventually enough people will abstain from meat to entirely collapse the meat industry this argument doesn't hold water but I don't think that will happen myself.

I do choose to eat meat from sources that I believe has ethically reared and killed the animals. I feel that if more people made this choice they would have a more positive effect on animal welfare than abstaining from eating meat.

The film focuses on the concept of speciesism and the fact that these animals feel and experience the same things as us, fear, depression, isolation, pain. I suspect that most vegetarians and vegans abstain from eating meat because they don't want to consume another living creature. Non-human animals should have as much right to live their lives free from pain and fear as we do, but they don't, because we think it is ok to treat them as a commodity.

There is a very poignant and heartbeaking moment in the film when Japanese fisherman trap a number of Dolphins within a bay area. They then start to randomly hack at the Dolphins as they know that once one is injured, the rest of it's family members will not leave it, thus ensuring that they capture them all. I wonder how many human beings would demonstrate the same levels of integrity if they were faced with a similar situation.