UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Following On From The To Buy Or Rescue Thread

one.eyed.dog

I was reading the other thread and found it very interesting. I did not post as I thought what I wanted to ask was a bit off topic.

Certain breeds have problems. My breed has aggression and epilepsy issues and I know breeders are activley trying to elimate these traits.

My dog has the aggression issues but, luckily not the epilepsy.

Now. If I was to get another one I would go to a breeder who actively tested for epilepsy and tried to breed out the aggression. I know of one as she has been helping me with my dog.

I would not risk another rescue unless it was known that these issues were not present.

Labradors are another breed I would not take as rescue as they are so intensivly puppy farmed the risk of getting one of those with mayjor health problems would be pretty high.

Other dogs I would always take as rescue.

All my dogs so far have been rescues.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a speck for any dog I get.

Large in size.

Must get on with other dogs and travel well in car.

Preferably house trained.

Not bothered if it's cat friendly.

Preferably not docked. (My current one is docked) :(

Female

I prefer an adult as you can see what the end result is and I don't have a clue how to deal with a pup.

I like a dog with high exercise needs as I walk miles.

Would not say I'm that fussy. Must say though I am guilty of going for looks and do prefer a well built dog to a slim one. (My current one is skinny)

Edited by one.eyed.dog

When we lost Jo I specifically wanted to offer a dog who had struggled or would struggle to find their new home a chance. Although sadly Joyce ultimately proved to have CDRM & left us sooner than I would have liked & "some" will never understand it, if I where able to turn the clock back I wouldn't hesitate to go down there & get her again :wub:

Likewise whilst I'm not looking for another dog at the moment I've helped a few out of the local pound over the last year - from the handsome & healthy year old with many years ahead & just needing some training to the 2/3 year old with issues and needing some effort to the lovely 10 year old with weaker legs & only a short life remaining just needing a little love for her remaining time.

If I'd been looking to home a dog I'd have left the easy youngster - knowing he'd find a home almost immediately and helped one of the two who were going to struggle (though obviously I appreciate that personal circumstances can make some issues less practical for some people).

I was once asked, of Joyce "are you potty? - you went all that way for that broken down old dog!" but don't the old and the "damaged" deserve their chance of getting out of that kennel and into a happy & loving new home too?

I must admit, health issues in a breed have never been a consideration when adopting a rescue dog... it has however been a major consideration when I bought a puppy from a breeder!

When adopting a rescue dog I accept that there is nothing that anyone can do now to prevent any breed specific or other health problems, so I am prepared to take a dog on whatever issues he comes with.

Vera

When adopting a rescue dog I accept that there is nothing that anyone can do now to prevent any breed specific or other health problems, so I am prepared to take a dog on whatever issues he comes with.

Me too - well with the adults anyway, with Mins, who was nine weeks when she came home, I made sure not to over exercise her or feed her something that might make her grow rather fast.

I have Labs - Mins from breed rescue (whose mother was handed into rescue because she developed epilepsy, and then turned out to be pregnant) and Max, who was a private rehoming. No idea of their breeding.

I give my dogs the best life I can, in terms of diet, Reiki, not plying them with too many chemicals etc. and hope for the best! I would certainly adopt another Lab from rescue. Even with the best of breeders, the potential for serious problems is not entirely removed.

My last dog was a cross breed who died just short of 9. Did not know how old she was so called her gottya day her birthday and the vet said she was about 3.

It is not nice to see a dog whose mind is willing and raring to go but, whose body is knackered suffer.

I would not take a broken dog again but, if it broke while I had it I would do what ever the dog needed.

Lucy was broken when I got her and I can't go through that again. She had been shot in the head and then they had tried to chop her head off. She did survive but, had major issues. She was the love of my life and I still miss her like mad.

Lottie's aggression came to light about 6 months after coming to live with me. I am sorting it. It's a slow proccess but, we will get there. I don't give up on my doglets.

Edited by one.eyed.dog

I love rotts but would not have another one because I couldn't give the dog the exercise that it would need.

My "has to be " list is as follows

has to be good tempered and get on with kids and dogs,cats are not an issue.

house trained because we stay in the caravan,chalet etc a lot so fouling would be a big problem.

good car traveller as we travel a lot.

adult,or young adult,because of my health I could not cope with a puppy.

not dominant as Kizzy is such a wuss and Pixi is quite feisty.

a calm,even temperament and a dog that does not have a high energy level as I cant do walking every day.We have a big garden and the dogs have free access and we play ball, but long walks are out of the question some days.

and small dogs only now and it has to be a girl.

so my needs are fairly specific but not really that fussed about a particular breed,and not fussed about pure or crossbreed either.x

Edited by ranirottie

I was happy to take any dog, that needed a home, old, young, lame, depressed, skinny, fat, the 'I don't want this dog any more' dogs. Sadly after all that's happened over the last year, I now would only have puppies, not bothered what breed, just have to be small or medium.

I think most people,regardless of whether they in rescue or not,have breeds that they would not take. People who like lurchery/grey types probably wouldn't take a hyper staffy or a GSD lover probably wouldn't want a yappy,disobedient terrier etc (just an example and no person/people in mind) so even tho people say "I would take anything" I bet that there are dogs that they wouldn't take or some dogs simply wouldn't stay in rescue/ kennels for so long and others get snapped up. Live and let live,its personal choice.x

I have to say, I think I'd be more worried about getting a purebreed dog from a rescue, than I would about getting a cross breed.  My thinking being that purebreeds are more likely to suffer from genetic disorders as a result of their breeding, and the breeders who health check their dogs are more likely to be the ones who take their dogs back if needed - it will be the poorly bred dogs who are more likely to end up in rescue (and I know this is a massive generalization, but it is the only way I can think of to express the basic line of my thinking).  

All the dogs I have are crosses, and as there is no breed that I want - I tend to go for the scruffy lurchery types - I wouldn't consider going anywhere other than rescue.  But I can see how if someone was getting a dog of a breed that was known to have specific health problems, they'd want to get a dog from a breeder where they would know that as much as possible had been done to ensure that the litter didn't suffer with those problems.

Sophie's post summed up my thinking on this - even though I do actually have a pedigree rescue dog, a greyhound.

If I were looking particularly for a rescue dog that would be less likely to get ill or injured, I too would pick a mixed breed that was currently in good health.

My requirements are:

Must be child safe [not necessarily overly freindly or playful but not likely to bite]

Must be cat safe

Not a huge barker

Tolerant of other resident dogs.

I'd like all of the above but with the additions of:

Dog freindly rather than tolerant [inside and outside the home]

Child freindly

House trained [i've spent the last 7 years cleaning up wee and poo, I'D LIKE A BREAK NOW PLEASE :rolleyes: ]

I don't want a collie, or terriers, or a toy breed but would take any of those IF the dog was right for us and vice versa.

Health problems have never been an issue [we've never yet had a dog without health problems] but for once I would like a nice young healthy dog, almost certainly a staffy.

I prefer dogs to bitches [in most breeds the dogs are much more handsome [to me] than the females.

Its on my list simply because I'd like a wee/poo free house for a change :laugh:

In a lot of ogs yes it can be overcome and they can be trained or retrained. The ones I've had have had medical issues which have caused loss of bowel and/or bladder control so they've not been able to help it.

It's not something I get annoyed about, but it can be very frustrating.