UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

3 Yro Girl Injured In Dog Attack

EGAR

Girl (3) injured in Tyrone dog attack

Sunday, 14 June 2009 17:07

A three-year-old girl has been seriously injured after being attacked by a dog in Co Tyrone.

The little girl was out walking her dog with a family member in Magheramore when the attack took place.

She sustained injuries to her neck, head and face and was brought to hospital where her wounds were described as serious but not life threatening.

Police were called to the scene shortly after 11.30am. They then instructed that the dog, described as a Japanese Akido, be put down by a vet.

A police spokesperson said that under the Dangerous Dogs Act, they can destroy a dangerous animal if it poses a threat to the public.

Source

This is the second attack in as many weeks by the same breed in NI. Aktiats seem to be the "in" breed of the year in Ireland at present and a fair few have shown up in the pounds. Although all the ones I've seen are American Akitas.

sloppy journalism that the writer didnt even bother to check the spelling of the breed.

I agree with Egar, what is most important that people should be learning, not that breeds are at fault, but breeds of dogs in the wrong hands who haven't got a clue about 'understanding' and 'controlling' dog behaviour!!!!!! I was a witness yesterday to an incident, when a friends dog was seriously injured by another dog. We have had news from the vets today that he has pulled through the op but is still a little worried about the wound on his head. The wound to his neck has been stitched. He is allowed home and will get plenty of TLC. He is 17 years old and I am amazed, he is such a strong boy. His owners have to keep a close eye on him, but I am so happy he is coming home. The thought I have had through this was that it could so easily have been my puppy attacked.

and if you werent a dog lover, on a dog forum and read that article would google be your friend? no it would lead you to several marshal arts web pages instead. Journalism is about telling the whole story, and giving the correct information so that people can further their knowlege. If a non dog person read that and didnt know what a japanese akido is, they may still be none the wiser.

I didnt post anywhere that the attack wasnt important for child or dog, so dont assume that because i didnt post about it, it doesnt matter to me.

Iwhat is most important that people should be learning, not that breeds are at fault, but breeds of dogs in the wrong hands who haven't got a clue about 'understanding' and 'controlling' dog behaviour!!!!!! I

I sort of agree but would stress that I believe it is not specific to breed but to any dog. If a dog has tendancies to guard or to "get in first" the owner should be aware of that whatever breed or cross it is. Toastie is a great example of this - an ancient sheltie based small terrier cross, doddery old man, very fluffy and cute BUT he hates hairy dogs, especially collies and huskies, so if I see any he gets put on the lead so that HE DOES NOT INVADE THEIR SPACE. It is not fair for any dog to tolerate another one coming into their space baring teeth, yapping or snarling..... but the number of people who see him boucing on the end of a lead and just say "oh he wants to play" is unbelievable. Yes the big dogs would love to play with theirs, but Toastie wants to kill them. If I let him into their space and he went too far with the death threats so that their dog snapped at him it would be my fault as I know what he is like. Similarly, if we are standing quietly and they still approach while he is doing his act I tell them (smiling but through gritted teeth) "he does not like collies/huskies" - if they still come closer I lie through the gritted teeth "the big dogs are very defensive of him" (whereapon they promptly trample him in the melee to make new friends).....

Sorry about the rant, but all too often people see Big Jed, Staffie based Bo and Lunatic Boxer China and make assumptions that their dogs would be hurt by them when in actual fact they would probably drown in the slobbery kisses while the real culprit gets away with murder simply because "he ancient and could not possibly be like that".

Edit - sorry, spelling getting worse!

Edited by buddyboy