UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Can I Find Out How Much Money My Employers Make?

phoebejo

Does anybody know where I could find out how much money the company I work for (Betfred) has made over the past few years? I can easily find out how much profit my shop made but I need to know how much the company as a whole has made recently as part of my war against the new contracts.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/161d65e9...cprodorder?ft=1

I had a trawl around as sometimes companies publish their Accounts freely - but I haven't tracked these down.

However, at £1 per document, I guess this wouldn't break the bank??!

However, I am a little puzzled by the fact that the company is listed as "Active", yet the latest accounts have a "Dormant" tag alongside them.

Are you employed by "Betfred Limited", or does your contract of employment give some other name?

Thanks for the replies & PM's. I've managed to find out that the operating profit last year was 13.2 million. That coupled with plans afoot for at least 200 more shops one has to wonder why they are trying to cut my wages in half under the guise of 'the current economic climate' considering that :rolleyes:

They're probably trying it on because they think they can and the economic climate is being used as an excuse, one that many people would accept. Unfortunately, depending on your length of employment, hours worked etc., it's quite possible that the offer they have made is within the law.

In total fairness, with a managerial/budgeting hat on, it's a sensible thing for the company to do. Even in good times, its far easier to reduce your operating costs by 10% than it is to increase turnover by the same amount and for most companies the lions share of costs are staff wages. However, cutting your pay by half is taking the p**s by anyone's standards.

It depends how far you are prepared to go to fight this. They can just turn round and say accept the new contract or leave. (Just not signing the contract is no help because by remaining with the company beyond the date you are due to sign indicates tacit acceptance of the contract.) You may be able to initiate unfair dismissal proceedings if it comes to that, but that's a lottery in itself, no matter how good your case is.

In your position, I would probably contact ACAS, they are there to try to resolve issues between both parties. The danger is that involving them may make the relationship between you and the company a little difficult to say the least, without actually gaining any improvement in their offer. It's not supposed to, but you can have as much legislation in place as you have paper to print it on, but you can't make people abide by it.

The plus point to involving ACAS is that you will have documentation to prove that you have done your best to come to an amicable agreement, so may help to strengthen an unfair dismissal case.

I hope you get it sorted, its a nasty position to be in. :GroupHug:

There is about 200 of us being represented by Community (although they are not recognised as our union by Betfred but nonetheless Community have been a huge help). I know all of my rights because of Community :biggrin: We all have to be given one weeks notice for each year we've been employed that our employment is being terminated. We can then continue working on a new contract. We were offered compensation but it was a paltry figure that compensated me for less than six months work. I will not accept the bribe, I will not accept a new contract, will be informing them of that this week and continue working under protest until I receive my first slashed in half wage packet at which point I can start constructive dismissal proceedings. And I will. Along with many others! By carrying on working, if I didn't object in writing, in the eyes of the law I would be accepting the new contract by performance but if I have written to object it I can claim constructive dismissal.

I have already written to our MD offering to renegotiate the compensation that was offered. That letter was ignored. My compensation quite clearly did not take into account that the majority of the hours I work are the ones considered unsociable hours with the bonus added to our basic wage. By taking away all bonuses and leaving me on a flat rate means I'll be working the same hours for a little over half the money I'm on now. As my hours are about to increase it's not worth my while going in if I'm on the flat rate. I suggested the same to our regional manager and he said the offer was unnegotiable and they didn't have time to negotiate with everyone individually. Ignorant pillock. I will again be saying I'm willing to negotiate and I suspect I'll be ignored yet again. I have done everything I possibly can to be whiter than white and reasonable at every point. I should hope all that goes in my favour at a tribunal because Betfred haven't been fair at all.

If they want to save money perhaps they shouldn't have just spent £4 million pounds sponsering the snooker and they would do well to close down the non-performing shops of which I can think of several.

Community have been a huge help today to us rebels. They've emailed us an excellent template for our letters to the MD.

Further to your letter dated 3rd June terminating my current contract of employment with notice effective from 8th June, I am writing to inform you that I wish to appeal against this decision on the following grounds:

1. I believe the dismissal is unfair and that Betfred have acted unreasonably in terminating my current terms and conditions of employment.

2. The company have failed to enter into meaningful consultation. Furthermore, I believe the changes to my terms and conditions are unreasonable, and that the company exerted unreasonable pressure on me to sign the “buy-out†offer.

3. The company have failed to hold a dismissal meeting.

4. I believe the company have failed to make a reasonable offer to buy out the premium time payments for evenings, Sunday’s, and Bank Holidays. I also believe this makes the dismissal unfair.

I understand that you will arrange an Appeal meeting to discuss these points with me. I am entitled under the Employment Relations Act 1999 to be accompanied by my trade union representative. Please reply in writing informing me with reasonable notice of the date, time and venue of the meeting so that I can make arrangements to be accompanied.

Please can you confirm the receipt of this letter in writing.

Yours sincerely,

I bet the letter will get ignored and the new contract will be introduced anyway. I'll work under protest and take it to a tribunal. It's making me ill. I'll do whatever I can to hold onto the only contact I have with real live grown-ups apart from Mr Hazell :mecry: I love my job, I'm bloody good at it and my employers don't deserve me :mecry: