UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

National Vaccination Month

siadwell

Thought this might be of some use to people. June 2009 is National Vaccination Month. Participating vets will once again be providing your pets with discounted vaccinations, saving you up to £30 per pet*, as well as a free health check.

* Pets need to be 18 months and over and not have been vaccinated for at least 18 months...

Vaccination month

Vets are getting worried that people have realised that annual boosters are not necessary and are even dangerous. So, in order to keep the income rolling in, they are offering discounts. :angry:

And so the plot between vets and pharmaceutical giants goes on.

Did you vaccinate your children every year? Of course not. Because once a body has immunity, it has immunity. Those memory cells never forget.

You could take a look at this if you still think annual vaccinations are a must

My dogs are vaccinated once............and we have had foster dogs in straight from traveller sites with kennel cough, mange, gastro-enteritis, etc etc.

My dogs haven't picked up anything. :)

Annual boosters are a scam. :mad:

yes they may be done unessesarily often but at the moment not doing them annually can give insurance companies the excuse to void even unrelated claims as annual vaccinations are with most companies one of the terms and conditions.

And with Parvo having a resurgence currently, mixed information could be causing confusion resulting in some people not vaccinating their dogs at all.

What we need are UK Clinical studies backed by the major players in the canine and veterinary world to make the facts clear for everyone to make a choice and to put pressure on insurance companies to follow their guidelines.

In the meantime i think national vaccination month saves the lives of many dogs who may never be vaccinated at all otherwise, and that can only be a good thing

:flowers:

vaccinations are also compulsary under the boarding licence rules accross the uk. Anyone with any need of leaving their dog in a licenced kennels has no option but to vaccinate.

I personally choose to vaccinate my dogs annually

I don't. I've never had Mal vaccinated again once he got his booster, that he needed to be allowed into the UK. I've had Kiera vaccinated a year and a half ago, because I was worried that she would not be able to take part in either flyball or agility, and I thought that I could take the risk of having a healthy dog vaccinated - didn't seem fair to me ifshe otherwise would not be able to do something that she would love. Not vaccinated her since though, and I'm planning to have both her and Sparky titre tested instead. While there might be a risk in a dog contracting a disease that they could have been vaccinated against, I would never forgive myself if my healthy dogs would get seriously ill due to a vaccination. I've had them vacc'ed against lepto at some point, because dogs contract that from rats' urine. Then I found out that there are about 52 strains of lepto and that the chance that a) dogs would contract it and b) be vacc'ed against the right strain was remote, so I didn't have them vacc'ed against that again. Instead I'm opting to keep them as healthy as possible, and their immune system as strong as it can be with a very healthy diet. It worked for Mal for all those years :flowers:

While there might be a risk in a dog contracting a disease that they could have been vaccinated against, I would never forgive myself if my healthy dogs would get seriously ill due to a vaccination. I've had them vacc'ed against lepto at some point, because dogs contract that from rats' urine. Then I found out that there are about 52 strains of lepto and that the chance that a) dogs would contract it and b) be vacc'ed against the right strain was remote, so I didn't have them vacc'ed against that again. Instead I'm opting to keep them as healthy as possible, and their immune system as strong as it can be with a very healthy diet. It worked for Mal for all those years :flowers:

Pretty much sums up how I feel too, yes I'd feel awful if they did contract a preventable disease, I'd feel equally as bad though if they had an adverse reaction which could potentially kill them, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I don't particulalry agree with annual boosters, but I would feel awful too if they contracted a preventable disease, so my 3 are vaccinated yearly. They also go into kennels occasionally, so need it for that too. I don't vaccinate the cats anymore though as they hardly ever leave the house and usually then only into our garden. However, the dogs meet so many other dogs in lots of different places, so I feel they are at more risk.