UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Breakdown Cover

krusewalker

Hello guys

can people tell me which car breakdown they would recommend, that would also include european travel - bearing in mind we will have 3 bigger dogs.

i understand the RAC/AA/Green flag have their own fleet of breakdown vehicles, whereas the other companies sub contract to independents?

does that make much of a difference, and if your RAC/AA/Green flag cover included europe, wouldnt those companies also be using independents anyway?

many thanks

martin

v

I've found both AA & RAC good in the UK but not used either in Europe & have so far not had to make a call out when I've had our 4 dogs with me. AA or RAC branded vehicles have always attended & within the hour - usually about 40 mins in my experience

When the car did go 'belly up' the dogs remained in the car on the back of the recovery truck. Tbh there wouldn't have been enough room in the cab for all of us anyway. In France on the autoroute (I don't know about other countries) you have to use the emergency telephone if you do breakdown, the breakdown companies are not allowed to remove vehicles from the autoroute, only authorised garages can do this. The drivers have keys to the escape gates which mean you don't have to continue to the next exit, we were taken to the local garage from where the breakdown company then organised a taxi, hotel and car for the next morning so we could continue our trip.

RAC/Green Flag/AA may have their own fleet, but you may well end up rescued by an independent anyway if they don't have anyone locally, which in rural areas they usually don't.

If your car is 4WD that complicates matters further as they then cannot tow it so that restricts the number of trucks they can send to help you if the breakdown can't be fixed on the road: in that case you practically always get the same bloke no matter who you get to call him!

To my mind, none of the recovery services provides an adequate service when it comes to dogs : they will all consider it perfectly OK, for example, for you to leave your dogs shut in the car by the side of the road while they take you to get a tire, for example. Insurance companies are equally feeble: they will provide a courtesy car, but not an equivalent vehicle that can be used for animals.

If you find one that does it right as a matter of company policy, rather than just the odd local recoverer being helpful, PLEASE share your knowledge! I would cheerfully pay more for a service that I could be confident would actually meet my needs as a dog owner.

Edited by cycas

I had been with Morethan for about 4/5 years as they covered everything that I needed plus European cover was thrown in at no extra charge. They finally, this year, put my premium up to £86 (used to be £65) coz me landy is getting old (T reg)! So I've just changed to TickDirect.com which I think also do European cover - worth a look. It all seems to depend on how old your car is, not on the amount of claims, as I've had the landy for 2 years now and the price crept up every year and I hadn't even claimed anything or called them out.

Not sure if this helps much :flowers:

I bought this one through my insurer a year or two ago - cheaper than AA / RAc / Green Flag & I'm not sure whether I got European cover or not in that (I think it cost me about £40/£45 at the time - so I'd have otherwise probably spent that on a call out anyway - & they can offer Euro cover regardless of whether I had it or not) I only had to call them once & an independent garage was with me within 30 minutes of my call. Fault wasn't quite correctly diagnosed - he said starter motor had gone when in fact it proved to be a bad earth to it - but nevertheless he quickly got me going again & I was then able to get back home again under my own steam.

http://www.equityredstar.co.uk/equityredst...s/breakdown.jsp

I get RAC comprehensive cover for UK and Europe with my bank account. I pay £14 a month for the account and in addition to the RAC cover I get annual worldwide family travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, extended warranty cover for all new appliances, legal & tax helpline, interest free overdraft up to £300 and 9.99% thereafter, cardholder protection and a will writing service.

I was paying £12.50 a month for comprehensive cover with Britannia on my old car and a higher overdraft rate, so by doing it via the bank account route I am saving money and I don't have to worry about renewing stuff.

Incidentally the RAC cover is for me, not the car, so I am covered regardless of whichever car I am driving.

Might be worth asking your bank if they do a similar type of account cos it would also cover your insurance then.

Edited by merledogs