UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Porky Guinea Pig

chickentikka

One of my 2 piggie clans is 2 females and one neutered male. The older female, Pooh, is getting ginormous but Piglet and Roo are normal piggie size. If anyone is hogging food it's Piglet (the neutered male) who insists on getting first dibs at the food and shoos the girls off until he's ready to share. I think that I will have to put Pooh in isolation for a few weeks so I can monitor her food and get her weight down. Any piggie experts got any thoughts/advice please.

Ta :flowers:

Have to agree with Cheryl segregating could be problematic - the other female will be very reluctant to accept a female back in with "her" male if too much time elapses and if she decides she is going to be boss female. Some piggies are huge, my Gorman was the biggest piggie I have ever seen but that was his natural size I've had big females too and some really small boned ones which make the others appear bigger than they really are merely because of scale rather than being overweight. However.... if the piggie has suddenly grown larger around the middle have a really good feel of her tummy, theres a few things it could be from phantom pregnancy to actual pregnancy if the neutering has failed or reversed itself or it could be ovarian cysts or even gas. If the tummy feels hard and/or lumpy it might be worth a trip to the vet to have her examined.