UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Which Satnav?

I have a TomTom One XL, but its died and I am lost without it. I do go to lots of new addresses, and in the next few weeks its going to be more than usual. So although I could just print off maps, its easier, quicker, safer and less stressful to use a satnav. And it warns me about speed cameras.

The question is which one to buy? I did like my Tomtom when it worked, but its been a temperamental little bugger, and reading reviews its not altogether unheard of. And their customer service is said to be awful. What do others have, and how do you feel about yours?

Ruth

I have a TomTom One and was given a Garmin Nuvi 255 the other day, which I have only tried briefly. If I could have a combination of both that would be ideal :rolleyes:

The TomTom is slightly easier to use, but the Garmin Nuvi talking instructions are clearer. However, the Garmin screen seems very small. Another feature on the Garmin is that you can zoom in and zoom out (on the model I've got, not sure if it's on all) but I'm not sure if/how often I'd use that feature as I've not tried it on any longer journeys.

I have a TomTom One XL, but its died and I am lost without it. I do go to lots of new addresses, and in the next few weeks its going to be more than usual. So although I could just print off maps, its easier, quicker, safer and less stressful to use a satnav. And it warns me about speed cameras.

The question is which one to buy? I did like my Tomtom when it worked, but its been a temperamental little bugger, and reading reviews its not altogether unheard of. And their customer service is said to be awful. What do others have, and how do you feel about yours?

Ruth

Ruth are you positive it's the actual Tomtom and not the cable. My hubbys had gone all funny so he borrowed mine (no know fault with mine) and it did the same thing, he used my power cable and his now works fine, so I bought another one to replace the one he pinched off me :rolleyes: Just a thought mind you, it might be the actual unit :wacko:

Ruth are you positive it's the actual Tomtom and not the cable. My hubbys had gone all funny so he borrowed mine (no know fault with mine) and it did the same thing, he used my power cable and his now works fine, so I bought another one to replace the one he pinched off me :rolleyes: Just a thought mind you, it might be the actual unit :wacko:

Well I was, but then after you said that I thought I would double-check and hooked it up to the computer, and lo and behold :bigiloveyou: :wacko: , it started up! Now it seems to be happy to work in the car too. How wierd is that? But I will get another van cable - or rather might try my old road angel usb cable which has the same fittings.

So its not dead, but its still a bit flaky. But at least I don't have to rush out and buy one in a hurry now.

FWIW my research showed that probably the best would have been Navman s700, except for the fact that you can't load the Pocket GPS speed camera database on to it, so I had settled on the widescreen Garmin nuvi with European maps for when we go to France (which is frequently, since DD lives there now).

The Garmin Nuvi I got given the other day is only 3 months old and it kept turning itself off when I was driving yesterday so is going back :rolleyes: Good thing I had my trusty TomTom One with me (although even that didn't like South Yorkshire hills much).