UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fostering Children

pup

im thinking of making a enquiry about fostering a disabled child,anyone here foster children,what questions can i expect to be asked,and how many dogs are you allowed to have to be considered?

I fostered many years ago when my kids were little. I did emergency fostering for the Social Services and I loved it. They want to know everything and so they should if you are taking in vulnerable children. They want to know that you can offer a patient,caring,reliable and settled home to children who desperately need stability and love in their lives.It is the most rewarding thing to do and people who take on disabled children have my utmost respect and admiration. It is hard work, sometimes you will tear your hair out,sometimes you will break your heart but most of the time its wonderful to see the kids grow and the love they give is amazing. :flowers: Good luck x

slightly OT but I'm a brownie leader. Last week we were visited by a fostered child who will start with us next week. She was removed from her home 2 years ago, cannot read and is prone to adult sexualised behaviour (aged 8!!). She is just adorable, and from what we can gather, saved from a life of depravity. Anyone who fosters is, in my opinion, truly truly admirable and if you can take a child like she was and turn her into the child she is today, even with her ongoing problems, into one who is secure and safe and, above all, has a future, then I say go for it. It'll be worth it.

I fostered disabled childen and babies, if thats the sort of child you would like to foster be warned they improve so quickly when in a different home, the amount of families that wont encourage a child to do things so they can carry on claiming higher rates disabilty payments. I had one little girl who had never walked anywhere at the age of five, because she couldnt, she came to me at the start of the new school year and by sports day in the summer had improved so much she won the egg and spoon race :)

My soul dog chip had many a tear cried into his coat, and always knew when a child was in bed but silently crying and go and comfort them, many forward thinking social workers realise that animals can bring a child out of its shell long before a grown up can

Good luck if you decide to do it, I miss it.... sometimes

thank you for your replys,i have phoned them and im being sent a imformation pack,its something ive wanted to do for ages,ive told them i have 4 dogs and that didnt seem to matter,how long does the process take,?

thank you for your replys,i have phoned them and im being sent a imformation pack,its something ive wanted to do for ages,ive told them i have 4 dogs and that didnt seem to matter,how long does the process take,?

The process only took us about six months but was quite intensive, we had to go on a course and had numerous visits from the social worker who was assessing us.

Good luck :flowers:

as everyone has said, they want to know everything about you. Dont be worrie of you didnt have the perfect childhood yourself, or have had some bad experiences in life.. it all adds up to make you better at dealing with troubled kids. Have fostered for 11 years for essex. since my own daughter was 2 and half.. am now a foster granny! I have 2 dogs plus a foster and 4 cats.. the animals have been brilliant for the kids. But have heard that some counties dont get that.

I fostered disabled childen and babies, if thats the sort of child you would like to foster be warned they improve so quickly when in a different home, the amount of families that wont encourage a child to do things so they can carry on claiming higher rates disabilty payments. I had one little girl who had never walked anywhere at the age of five, because she couldnt, she came to me at the start of the new school year and by sports day in the summer had improved so much she won the egg and spoon race :)

My soul dog chip had many a tear cried into his coat, and always knew when a child was in bed but silently crying and go and comfort them, many forward thinking social workers realise that animals can bring a child out of its shell long before a grown up can

Good luck if you decide to do it, I miss it.... sometimes

aren't some dogs truly wonderful, I think animals are something all children should have part of their lives :GroupHug:

good luck, I think anyone who can do this are true angels..I would LOVE it but dont think Im made of strong enough stuff :mecry:

We foster a 14 year old boy full-time on a long-term basis. we have 3 dogs and 4 cats. He loves animals and he wanted his new placement to have pets! I had to fill out a form for the dogs giving various information regards their temperement and health, but otherwise no problems. Fostering is a lengthy procedure, In Leicestershire we were required to have 2 referees who were interviewed, a full medical and endless visits from a fostering social worker before we went to panel. We have had our lad for about 18 months now, we get good support from fostering, and it is going okay, he isn't an easy lad, but we get monthly respite which we look forward to!

I've been considering fostering for some time now and wasn't sure if the fact I work full time would go against us. Do you have to be full time at home to foster? :unsure:

We were trying to adopt and were "quietly" informed that if we worked full time we were very unlikely to be approved by the panel. I don't know if that is the same case for fostering though

Working should not be a problem, lets face it most people need to work, what you have to realise is fostering can take up a lot of time centered around the child. Woulkd your work be flexable if you needed time of for settling a child in to your home, would they be flexable for time off for meetings and medicals for your child?

Fosterers are like gold dust and if you have the qualities needed social services will do everything in their power to get you on board