UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Muzzle Help Needed (don't Read If You Are Squeamish)

Karen

Some of you will know that Rosie is a scavenger :( she will eat anything while we are out including poo. After a couple of episodes of being very ill a few years ago, she wears a muzzle like this.

rosie020307.jpg

However, being the worst combination of greedy and clever, she's suddenly figured that she can use the front of the muzzle as a scoop and pick up revolting snacks whenever she fancies. This morning I was tempted not to bring her home from her walk :sick02:

Any suggestions for a muzzle that will stop her munching? We tried a baskerville to start with but she uses that like a potato masher :sick02: . The one in the picture is a greyhound one, so something of a simliar size should do the trick.

I think you need a thing called a 'poop guard' or 'stool guard' which fits right into the front of the muzzle and covers the nose so she can't scoop with it. Sorry, don't know where to find them in the UK though, I've only seen them recommended on US greyhound forums.

... edited because it posted twice for some reason...

Edited by cycas

Used Lucy's old muzzle on Bud when he did the same - then he found he could squish the poo thru the holes........... yuk yuk yuk and definitely the reason I would recommend a red/yellow/white one to anyone in future as you can at least see if there is anything on it before you find it is there by putting your hand on the muzzle to take it off..

With a previous dog I used to stick plastic container tops, especially the blue ones from powdered milk, into his muzzle. He still tried but it usually lasted long enough for me to drag him off . And of course they were were disposable.

Thank you for the ideas :flowers:

Now I know what I'm searching for, I will get on to Google and see what I can find in the UK. I hadn't thought of trying to adapt the existing muzzle either, so will have a think about that too.

Oh blimey aren't they just horrid. Ruby does the same, she'll snaffle poo and sticks and if we don't catch her in time she eats its up and then inevitably she'll bring it all up in the early hrs a couple of mornings later - aaaagggghhhhh!

We've thought of using a muzzle as well, but the looks you get from some people when walking a dog with a muzzle makes you feel they think you've got Hanibal Lector (sp?) at the end of the lead :(

Oh blimey aren't they just horrid. Ruby does the same, she'll snaffle poo and sticks and if we don't catch her in time she eats its up and then inevitably she'll bring it all up in the early hrs a couple of mornings later - aaaagggghhhhh!

We've thought of using a muzzle as well, but the looks you get from some people when walking a dog with a muzzle makes you feel they think you've got Hanibal Lector (sp?) at the end of the lead :(

I don't think you should worry about other people's looks quite honestly. If you are seriously considering it and the greyhound type muzzle they now come in all kind of colours and some even have sparkly bits on them too.

I did worry a bit about what people thought of a labrador wearing a muzzle, but only for a short time! People and dogs that we know don't even think twice about it now. The choice of yet another vet visit (it's not just the cost there is the worry of Rosie being ill and she's picked up bugs which are transmissible to humans) or the occasional person turning away when they see Rosie wearing a muzzle is an easy one.

I rather like the idea of a sparkly muzzle Nettie :) . I can't find a UK supplier for the poop guards, so if anyone has seen one please point me in the right direction.

Does anyone have details of black/different coloured basket style muzzles in the UK? Someone on a different forum was looking for one to suit a Lab and was hoping to find one that wasn't the usual beige basket type one.

I hope you can find something to help. Max is a bit of a b*gger for eating pooh and I'm sure that it was what made him ill before. I do watch him carefully and I also get him to carry a toy as that helps a bit - and if he drops the toy I know what he's likely to be doing :rolleyes: I can understand why you would muzzle.

Someone gave up a dog for eating pooh? :unsure:

One day I took the beasts out somewhere different and Bud was wearing his muzzle. Saw a gent in the distance and one of his dogs was wearing a muzzle. As we got closer we both said at the same time "Don't worry, he isn't nasty, it's to stop him eating poo" and then fell around laughing.

When Lucy was alive I used Jan's Gifts in Rayleigh for things like her boot and they were really helpful over the phone (needed a boot to protect the wound after a toe amputated and they wer happy to discuss best size etc).... google them but leave the apostrophe out.

Edited by buddyboy

Jans Gifts sell some rather nice coloured muzzles. Not sure that they'd fit all labs though - Rosie has a pointy nose and a boy lab with a wide nose probably wouldn't squish into that sort of shape.

Mindy, that is very sad for the girl who has been given up. Over the years we've worked on all sorts of strategies for helping Rosie get over her bad habit, toys, noise distraction, food etc and had the help of two good behaviourists. Some things worked for a while but in the end the second behaviourist recommended carrying on with the muzzle!