UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Heating Choices

Tisaann

My daughter moved into her own flat at the weekend and the only downside is that it has storage heaters. Does anyone know what she can use that wont cost a lot? She is all electric. I was told that oil filled heaters were good but hubby, for some unknown reason poo pooh'd the idea

The storage heaters aren't too bad IF they are set up properly, and she's got Economy 7.

Check the timers on the heaters match the timings on the E7 meter.

If she decides not to use the storage heaters you're better off getting her off the E7 tariff, as it will work out more expensive.

Lots of good advice can be obtained from this lot:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

or call them on 0800 512 012

I've had storage heaters in the past in a 1 bed flat and they've been fine,was on Economy 7 and found they gave a good heat all day long,did get a bit chilly late evening but I usually headed off to bed anyway.I did find that if I'd been out on a long walk in atrocious weather I needed a boost when I came in, a halogen heater did that just fine.

i have oil filled radiators at home with inbuilt timers they are good. and not overly expensive, i have no other heating at all outside the lounge so it's my main heat source for most of the house..just don't try leaving clothes on them to try..they get very very hot..:-)