UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Helllpppp! New Computer And I Can't Do It!

suzeanna

Due to our old one freezing, crashing and generally being a pain, my OH dug out the credit card and got a new one. It's Vista. I don't understand it. Plus I forgot to write down the URL for the bubbles game and I can't find one on search, and its got ASK search on and I want google, it loads Yahoo as the front page despite me trying to change it to BBC news on internet options and...and....and...I don't like it! anyone got the URL for bubbles please?

I've just discovered too, that when I go to Yahoo games (I know, I should be doing the housework), although it loads in things like Text Twist, Pyramids (a card game) and JT's blocks, it wont actually play them. It plays Cubis ok though. What haven't I done that I should have?

I want my old computer back.! :mecry:

Ah welcome to the world of Vista.... I know exactly how you feel that was me before Xmas :laugh:

Ok home page: open explorer, click on tools>internet options>general tab>write the url to the home page you want to set in the box, click apply then ok.

Search: open explorer, click on tools>internet options>general tab>click change search default settings> if google is not in the list click on "find more providers" this opens a new page at microsoft and google is on that page. > add google then click on it in the box to set it as the default search provider, click apply then ok.

The games may not be playing for a number of different reasons which might be that your flash or java isn't up to date - or your permissions aren't allowing it - can you tell me what message comes up when you try to play games?

That's the annoying thing..no message at all, it brings in the game, it even says applet loaded..then it sits there. Doing absolutely nothing. As well as the new comp he got a new monitor, a flat screen a little larger than our old one..I don't like this either! it makes pictures look squashed..shorter but wider than they should be. Is it possible to alter that, like you can on a tv, where you can click wide, or smart or whatever?

I followed your instructions..still bringing in BTYahoo as home page, still got ASK. I hate Vista, I do I do I do! I'm too old for this malarky!

I would not use internet explorer and use Google Chrome instead, so easy to set up your home page and you can set up other tabs to open. You could have a tab for the BBC, a tab for The Refuge and whatever else you'd like and they would all open together when you open Chrome. Its simple to customise.

I really like Vista :unsure: Can't help with the games as I don't use them but I use Firefox and it's fab. You can open as many tabs as you want within the one Window (I know other browsers do this too but I've been using Firefox for ages) - and also if you have more than one tab open in a window, when you go to close it, you can choose to save the same tabs to open next time you open Firefox, which I find really useful.

If you want to set your homepage in Firefox you can just click on the tab for the page you want and drag it to the "home" icon and it will ask if you want to use that as your homepage :)

It just does them...in the middle of whatever you're doing...and turns your computer off....and then back on again.It is really the most annoying thing ever.You could be half way through a post or an email and suddenly bang,off goes your computer :angry: I'm sure there is a way to turn them off but it's my lap top which has vista and I don't use it as often so I forget to look into how to turn the updates off until it happens again.Silly me :rolleyes:

I'm sure Tracy will know the answer...Snow where are yooouuuuu? :D

It just does them...in the middle of whatever you're doing...and turns your computer off....and then back on again.It is really the most annoying thing ever.You could be half way through a post or an email and suddenly bang,off goes your computer :angry: I'm sure there is a way to turn them off but it's my lap top which has vista and I don't use it as often so I forget to look into how to turn the updates off until it happens again.Silly me :rolleyes:

I'm sure Tracy will know the answer...Snow where are yooouuuuu? :D

I was watching Rugby Club :laugh:

OKies this one's relatively easy ... tutorial with pictures here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...40.html#updates

You want to make your settings either download the updates but let me choose when to install them or check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them - personally I have mine set on the latter option as I always prefer to know just exactly what they are proposing to download to my pc.