UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Life Without Dogs?

ClazUK

I could never see myself without a dog, had them in my life since I was a young child and Im afraid Im addicted..BUT I can understand why people dont, even those who would love to..

They are, in the nicest way a tie of sorts, for me anyway..like others have said, I could never kennel them..not because of them, me..I wouldnt relax thinking of them so the holiday would be a complete waste of time. For example we have had two nights out this week end and had to sort dog care because I dont like leaving them too long, suppose it depends on the kind of person you are, and your individual dogs personality??

I am lucky to only work part time so the dogs are fine, but again full time work would affect ME having dogs. Then there is money to think of, they DO cost..food and unfortunately vet bills, some ALOT more than others. Also another factor is losing them, its so so hard and I often wonder why I put myself through it, but then I think of the life my dogs have with me..hopefully a nice one and I think that is worth the pain that losing them causes :wacko:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my life without dogs! I think thats because after running a ridiculous kennels it was a bit too much. I love going back and having cuddles but not 24/7. Give me a lovely quiet oldie, rather than 60 odd hooligans!

I do transport runnings as often as i can around shifts, still give regular training advice to friends, and walk friends dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont currently have my own dogs.......altho OH family do and we with in their top floor!!! this bis good for time being as i miss dogs so so much but knwo wth my injuries and bad health i couldnt do daily walking etc but at the moment when i feel up to a lil wander i can borrow theres!

But i do dearly miss my own dog big time and with movig to states i know i cant have any till 2011 :( its such a horrid feelin knowing i cant have my own dogs again for years but i know that part of me will feel tied down the minute i get one!!!!! but this feeling of not having one is much worse!!!

For us its not the dogs, I always feel guilty leaving the cats here when we go to France, so when they go we won't be getting anymore, I also don't think it would be easy to add new cats to the hounds, they are fine with ours but not with any other cat. With the dogs, we just pile them into the car and off we go to France, the thought of 3 dogs and 2 cats travelling 15 hours just wouldn't work, also they are elderly now and I don't think they'd enjoy the change. Admittedly we only go to France but we could always tour Europe with the dogs if we felt like it. The OH wants to visit weird (dangerous) places which I would never want to go to so the dogs are a good excuse for me! We certainly won't be increasing our pack, 3 is just ok, 4 would make life much more difficult.

The cats came to me 16 years ago when I worked full time and didn't have the lifestyle appropriate for dog ownership but I really wanted a pet and then a friend told me about the kittens. I love them dearly but when they've gone that will be it on the cat front.

i dont know where we will be living yet and what type of accomodatio we will have so depends!

some times you get put up in someones granny flat (when they have huge houses) or a wing of there house (bonus being these oftewn have pools) but this measn we couldnt foster as its someone elses house!

For us its not the dogs, I always feel guilty leaving the cats here when we go to France, so when they go we won't be getting anymore, I also don't think it would be easy to add new cats to the hounds, they are fine with ours but not with any other cat. With the dogs, we just pile them into the car and off we go to France, the thought of 3 dogs and 2 cats travelling 15 hours just wouldn't work

I suppose it partly depends on the cat. Before I was born my parents 'firstborn' was a big black cat called Tigger: they took him everywhere, including boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads. Easier with only the one, I suspect. Most of ours would really not cope with that sort of thing, but I can see Yama Bungle going for it, and maybe Kjetil.

We took both of our cats to Little Dumpledale last week and they loved it... as with the dogs ... they get on well together thank god..

Having dogs and a few of them does limit you to where you can go etc etc... When i was in hospital for over a week... i felt so bored, no dog to take out and bath and cuddling up to them... Hubby brought them each day to see me but think that was worse as they just started back as they were going saying why isnt mummy coming home...

I cant see never having dogs, maybe cut down, as most of our dogs are 9 to 14 years now, we wont get any more after that and keep to a couple of dogs.. well thats the plan but im a crap fosterer rofl...