UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cairn Terriers

mandy

Hi peeps

My friend has decided to buy a Cairn puppy.

I have tried to persuade her re rescue but she has made her mind up that she wants a pup (small children etc) and has located a local breeder with some newborn pups. I have offered to go with her when she goes to view and choose her pup, and she has had a thorough phone interrogation by the breeder already!

I am pretty confident about what to ask generally to suss out the quality of the breeder, but am just wondering if there are any Cairn specific things I should be enquiring about.

I am a GSD/lurcher/large crossbreed sort of person and have little terrier experience, so any advice would really be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Mandy

We had two Cairns when I was growing up - fantastic little dogs but definitely a working terrier breed who need to be doing something and kept busy.

Generally as far as I know they are quite a healthy breed, but there's information about a couple of potential (but fairly rare) health problems here: http://www.thecairnterrierclub.co.uk/healthgroup.html

My 7 year old geriactric hooligan is a Staffy/Cairn Terriorist anda wonderful little girl, but they are terriers and like all terriers can be a law unto themselves. They need owners who can teach them to become well mannered dogs and take into account that they are terriers.

Hope that makes sense. :laugh:

My 7 year old geriactric hooligan is a Staffy/Cairn Terriorist anda wonderful little girl, but they are terriers and like all terriers can be a law unto themselves. They need owners who can teach them to become well mannered dogs and take into account that they are terriers.

definately agree, my dog Harry is, going by looks, part Cairn, he's old now but being a terrier is still a very opinionated person!

I have two Cairns, they are fab :pinkie: The Cairn terrier is the featured breed in the current (February) "Your Dog" magazine which incudes health issues in the breed and other helpful info.

I could try and scan the pages and email them to you if you don't want to buy the magazine? :flowers:

(Mrs Mop @ Jan 18 2009, 10:06 AM)

definately agree, my dog Harry is, going by looks, part Cairn, he's old now but being a terrier is still a very opinionated person!

Sorry that should say 17 year old geriatric hooligan. :wub:

a highly intelligent breed and need to have their minds kept busy, or else

I think that is why I like them, because I am a Collie person really so they fit in with what I think a proper dog should be like. Mine are pretty well behaved because they get the right amout of excercise and company but they do have a stubborn streak which sometimes shows itself :rolleyes: .

We have had 2 in our agility club - littermates. One was laid back and not interested at all so he doesn't do it any more. the other is fine and quite keen.

I've known another couple belonging to an agility person and they were both more like the first one.

All can have terrier moments though.

Pam