UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Online Dating

gooster

Further on from the blind date thread, I wondered if anyone had tried online dating??!!

I've tried it for a while, met up with a guy at a pub. There was a pub quiz on so we did the quiz, and then he decided he didn't want to stay for the answers because he might miss the last tram home. He left at 10.20, and the last tram was at 11.20 and the pub was next to the tram station :wacko: He was a right boring sod, not bad looking, but he kept pestering me for ages after, sending pictures out of the blue of 'himself'. And I wondered why he was single??!!

Am tempted to try kissinggates.com, as that is for horsey and doggy people, but think I'll probably attract the weirdos again!!!

I went on a few sites that said they were free, yeaa till you tryed to see who had sent a message! But there is one, girlsdateforfree.com, where it is free. I might try it. No friends have any single friends to recommend. They might be waiting for my knee to heal first, ill see lol

I met Les on Dating Direct (which masquerades as a few others too). I looked at it as being a numbers game - and internet dating is a way of meeting more people looking for a date than you would otherwise meet walking the dog. Its a haven for sad cases and pests, but you can weed them out with determination. My first rule was to correspond for a good while before agreeing to meet. That weeded out the illiterate, and the ones just wanting a quick shag.

Can't fault it, really. I kissed a couple of frogs and then found my prince. :wub:

I signed up for Soul Mates (Guardian newspaper) last week. You can join for free, and can send pre-set one line answers to emails. If you take out a subscritpion you can reply to messages or take the first step yourself. You have to answer questions to complete a profile, and they advise you to add a photo. You specify what you are looking for. When you get your "matches" it gives you a percentage compatibility.

I tried this a few years ago, and met lots of nice men. My friend at the time had signed to Dating Direct and received some pervy messages. I have not had the same experience. I am "chatting" to a few chaps at the moment. One of them even has a rescue dog :)

f .rf

If you google Guardian on line, you will find Soul Mates on the right hand side.

Good luck

Edited by lazydaisy

I met Chris through the Lycos site and we've been together 2 years this may I think :ohmy:

Tbh there are a lot of weirdos out there and you do get a lot of 'pervy' messages but I think you've just got to learn to hit the 'delete' button and not let them worry you and try and sift through all the oddballs :laugh:

I corresponded with Chris for quite a few months before I agreed to meet up and I think like Ruth says that definately helps weed out the ones who just want to get their leg over quickly :laugh: :ohmy:

Also I know Rosie on here met her OH on Lycos too and they're getting married in Canada in Feb this year so there are definately some 'princes' out there :wink:

I agree with lots of previous comments...need to chat for a while to weed out the ones who just want a quick shag, and the pervs!

I have kissed a few frogs recently, but have found a lovely chap on Plentyoffish :wub: . I think its safer than meeting up on a night out, as u have chance to chat when ur both sober, and suss each other out before you meet up.

Plentyoffish is free, as is freedating....I have met a couple of guys from both, and am favouring plentyoffish at the moment!!

Can't fault it, really. I kissed a couple of frogs and then found my prince. :wub:

I did the online dating thing, and as others have said, chatted for a while before agreeing to meet any of them. Met 3, all who were deffo not for me thanks - one who wanted a replacement housekeeper for his wife who had walked out on him (not surprised), one who was obsessed with collecting something (can't even remember what :rolleyes: ) but his idea of a next date was to go to some all day, very boring collectors do, and one who was only after a quick romp.

Then I met my OH, fell instantly in love, moved in with him 2 weeks later and the rest is history. We have been together for 7 years and married for 5.

My advice - chat online for a while first, get to know each other a bit, chat on the phone and then meet up.

And yes, there are some weirdos out there - but while you're online, you are in control, hit the block contact button or delete :rolleyes: