UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bsl Taken A Step Further...

EGAR

I don't see how this is BSL?? They seem to be reacting to a case of their own dog being attacked by another dog they describe as a small terrier, whose owner didn't behave responsibly. They'll get nowhere with it, but I don't why owners of dogs that attack other dogs shouldn't have the spot light shone on them.

Ok, you are right, I should have put it in a header of *dog legislation* instead of BSL, however I've got huge issues with it. They want a register which is available to the public in which you will end up if your dog had a fight with another dog etc pp so that people will know where you live, pretty much in the same boat with rapists and paedophiles. Long live freedom of information? I think not. It makes you an outcast. And to compare it to Megan's Law is simply sickening.

It, IMHO, is someone's personal gripe put on the internet. It won't go far, politicians simply aren't interested in animals. I feel for the poor dog who has been attacked so badly, and if I were the owner I'd also have a huge axe to grind. But I'm not worried that anything will come of this :flowers:

Ok, you are right, I should have put it in a header of *dog legislation* instead of BSL, however I've got huge issues with it. They want a register which is available to the public in which you will end up if your dog had a fight with another dog etc pp so that people will know where you live, pretty much in the same boat with rapists and paedophiles. Long live freedom of information? I think not. It makes you an outcast. And to compare it to Megan's Law is simply sickening.

I think you're right that it's dubious, I read it again and in one part they're saying that people shouldn't report dogs because they 'could' be dangerous or look dangerous, in another they're asking people to report potentially dangerous dogs - which isn't right. They also have no means of sorting fact from fiction.

I suppose I was thinking that sometimes it's handy to have information - when I moved to the area I now live in, it was invaluable to be warned about the local drunk who allows his dog to rampage around the park. I was told what the dog and man looked like and when I see them, I beat a hasty retreat. It wasn't a case of idle gossip - it was reported in the local newspaper that he has an order against him to keep the dog muzzled - but it never is.

It's a shame the "system" lets people down - they clearly didn't get any justice for their own dog being hurt and when people feel that they aren't heard, they start petitions like these :(

I think its really dangerous

few years ago a dog was attacked locally ( A sighthound attacked by a Dalmatian ) and the attacked dog needed a lot of veterinary treatment

the owners turned up on my doorstep because they had been told that I had 3 out of control dogs lived there and they had decided it must have been one of my dogs that attacked theres , they ranted and raged at me until I was able to calm them down enough to show them my 2 lunchers and a collie

I was able to explain that yes my dogs often do react badly when they are on lead if other dogs come near them because one my dogs ( Lurcher ) was attacked whilst on lead and needed a lot of veterinary treatment and as such I generally avoid other dogs and owners and only let mine off lead in isolated areas

if there was a register clearly at least one person could have added my dogs to it for being "out of control"

I also agree with Sarah that comparing this "law" to a system that is designed to deal with convicted pedophile or sex offender is very inappropriate

That is really worrying - it seems to be based on "that dog COULD" rather than "that dog HAS" - ok it does mention owners, but hey, is that the part the "easily led" are going to believe or will it be presented in the media with yet another picture of a snarling Devil Dog.

Every time I think I've seen or heard it pretty much all regarding BSL up pops a new brain fart.

"Brain Fart" sums it it very well.

There are always those with too much gas and nothing better to do but fart in the wrong direction!

Cheers

Edited by Weis Up