UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Make -up

Spins4me

*rushes in and pulls up a seat to listen to advice*

I know nuffin about putting make up on , so little in fact when I need to go out I get the ladies at the department store to do my slap for me and even once I payed a scarey russian lady at a hairdressors to put my face on ( she scared the hell out of me but she was good )

very rarely I will have a go myself but really I have no idea what I am doing and the results are very hit and miss

I know nuffin about putting make up on , so little in fact when I need to go out I get the ladies at the department store to do my slap for me and even once I payed a scarey russian lady at a hairdressors to put my face on ( she scared the hell out of me but she was good )

very rarely I will have a go myself but really I have no idea what I am doing and the results are very hit and miss

Same here. I did have the full works for my daughter's wedding but was desperate to wash it off and wanted to rub my eyes all the time. Just never really feels like me but would like to look a bit speshul for the "Coming of Old Age Do" that my family insist I have.

They won't let me wear my jeans, walking boots and dog walking coat either - even though they've said to wear whatever's comfortable!!

i just had make over recently and lots of advice as got married in summer!

i didnt do make up at all before and now building! also realise that when using cheap make up get cheap look :( but bought some slightly expensive base stuff then cheaper stuff that you go through more!

so i use BENEFIT BASE which i now love as not heavy and doesnt clog.

CHEEKS but this is optional......someone bought it for me so i use it....but wont buy myself.

then use a cheek and lip tint.....boots and super drug do there own for a few quid......it is bright red stain but you just dab on cheek then with fingers blot about........if you smile when doing it can see where to put it......from squidgy cheek up the bone!

then use a translucent powder across face.........

Use the lip cheek tiny on lips......lightly tho.............then clear lip gloss or slight pink tint..........

then i always use water proof mascara.....currently got No7 one which is great!!!!

top tips would be (things i have recently learnt)

always have a decent face brush....when buying body shop are brilliant.........always give brushes a good pull and see how tough they are! should always wash brush every now and again in warm water and leave to dry.

mascara should only be kept for max 6 months as bugs grow in them and can cause infections.

worth spending money on foundation

never put make up on straight after shower....(will juts go inot pours)

http://www.makeuptip.com/

oh also .....i recently had a body shop party which was brilliant for xmas presents and if you hold one you get the make over and loads of money off!!!.....they have amazing make up and good prices too..........

they also had this vit C gel for eyes which was amazing,,,,,,,,,,also do a full face one ...but made face feel alive! they sell it saying like a hangover cure in abottle and it is!!!!

ps anyone in northwest shout if want bodyshop party as i know 2 brilliant reps

Tesco do a brilliant foundation powder in one. It is in black packaging and just called "Make Up" If you put it on with a big brush it looks really natural. It looks like pressed powder. Just check it's the all in one foundation. Apart from the foundation I would just buy eyeshadow etc from collection 2000.

Good luck.

Oooooooh a thread for me too :laugh: :flowers: Don't have a clue myself, I can manage mascara and lip gloss and that's it! Eyeshadow always looks so fake and crude (when I do it not on folk generally!) and never really know what colour to go for.

No idea about foundation. Heva is that benefit base ok on it's own or only as a base? I have uneven skin tone and pale skin (and combination skin at that :( ) so have always stayed well clear of foundation.

Edited by reds

With mascara most Brits are better off with brown rather than black, unless you happen to be under 20 and a goth, in which case, pile it on.

I use a brilliant product from Clarins which has a Poly-Filla effect on the pores and wrinkles, bloody marvelous, then just use a light powder.....Clarins again, on top, I would say as a guide with make-up, less is more.

Tinted moisturiser, mascara and a nivea coloured lip balm gets me through each day without looking like the living dead or too made up :rolleyes: If you use a matt lip balm you can always put a little on your cheeks if you are looking especially pale.

Foundation should go on with a damp natural sponge, always put the foundation on over your eye lids and browline and make sure it's up into the hairline especially by your ears, then add a loose translucent powder patted on with a soft pad and then use a large soft bristled brush to take off the loose powder. If you are going to use a concealer - apply with a brush and put the foundation on over the concealer.

Make sure you also cover your lips with foundation and powder *top tip* - this will prevent lipstick from "bleeding" and also means you can cover up big lips or wonky lips and get a better more even look if you have small thin lips it means you can make them appear fuller by applying lipstick beyond your natural lip line - however.... if you dont like lipstick by using the foundation and powder once you have finished the rest of the make up WIPE IT OFF your lips with a damp tissue - it makes the lips look as if they have got a very natural lipstick on them anyway.

Eye liner next, inside the eye lids will make large eyes look smaller outside makes small eyes look wider, when using eye liner look straight ahead and start directly in line with the middle of your pupil and go outwards - don't do the part closest to your nose unless you want the cleopatra/panda look. Eyeliner can go on heavy as you can use a rubber brush or your finger to smudge it and blend into any eyeshadow you are using for a more natural look, eye shadow should be darker on the bottom lighter on the top (browline), and darkest of all on the outer eye area - if not using eye shadow (and I don't very often) use your blusher on the outside 1/4 of the browline and lower eye lid down into the eyeliner. Mascara - look down and apply the first coat to the backside of the lashes, then the 2nd coat goes on the underneath sweeping the lashes up, this will give a fuller look, to apply the mascara to lower lashes use a zig zag motion with just the very tip of the brush - to load mascara onto the brush dip it into the pot and pull it out whilst twirling it to avoid overloading it and getting it too wet and cloggy.

Blusher always goes on last AFTER the foundation and eyes are finished so you can tone it to the rest of the make up, use a large brush and apply sparingly onto the cheek bones again going no further onto your face than directly in line with the middle of your pupil - make sure to blend into the hairline by your ears, then add a small sweep of blusher to your forhead/brow, the underside of your jawline, sweep down your nose and the chin directly inline beneath, this adds "shadow" & slims the face - especially good for concealing double chins :wink:

Lipstick is best applied using a lipstick brush rather than by using the lipstick itself, you get a much better outline and coverage (and the lipstick lasts longer) always blot the lipstick after each coat including the final one - for best results use a lip liner pencil first a slightly darker shade than your lipstick.

I have never used foundation as I think it clogs your skin up and why put something on your face to look as though you have nothing on your face? The furthest I have gone is to use tinted moisturiser which is skin cream with a bit of colour in in (Tesco's own brand) Tesco's own brand is by Barbara Daly the makeup person from the Body shop. I use eyeshadow in shades of brown sometimes grey. I did not use lipsitck or lip gloss as it would make my long hair stick to my lips!! I sometimes use lipstick now when I am going out in the evening.

Bodyshop and No7 in Boots do good demos :)

Think Snow has just about covered it all off - all I would add is to give your moisturiser a couple of minutes to soak in before starting on your make up.

If you just invest in one really good quality product go for foundation every time - I use Clinique and don't think I could live without it!