UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Doggy Car/van Chat

selina

can 4 crates, 2 stacked on top of two fit in a berlingo or are we better off going with the merc vito or dispatch which has got the slidey side doors for all the doggy essentials (crap) that you need when you live multi dog lives :biggrin:

Anyone got any of the above and can provide photos and/or crate sizes so i can compare please.

OH wants the vito, but I'm worried it just might be to big for little old me to drive and I like the look of the dispatch but not sure how big the crates would be and wether they would be big enough for four good sized springer's.

HELP I hate car/van shopping when there's so much to think about. :rolleyes:

Berlingo I would think would be too small, I have the Peugeot Partner (car version) and I don't think you could stack cages. I can fit three collies in mine still with the seats up and seats down you could probably fit four cages but on one level which means all bits would need to be on top of the cages.

Most vans have power steering now and are lovely to drive, we have various sizes at work and I drive them all :wink:

29sep2.jpg

ETA: The Partner is the same shape as the Berlingo

Edited by sanrossscot

I have a mercedes vito with four cages in the back (2 up 2 down). I can fit a GSD plus one other non shepherd in each crate if I wanted, I could probably fit 2 sheps in the top 2 crates as they are slightly wider as no wheel arches in the way. My van also has 2 back seats which is handy when I have to transport 4 dogs plus 4 or 5 people too.

I love my van, it is easy to drive, the seat is very adjustable so you shouldn't have any hassles there. It doesn't really feel that big although I was used to driving round a large 4x4 before hand. I commute 100 miles in it pretty much everyday and its fuel ecomony is pretty good (especially when you consider the way I drive...)

I don't have any photos at the moment, but give me a couple of days and I'll be able to send you some if you like?

I have a mercedes vito with four cages in the back (2 up 2 down). I can fit a GSD plus one other non shepherd in each crate if I wanted, I could probably fit 2 sheps in the top 2 crates as they are slightly wider as no wheel arches in the way. My van also has 2 back seats which is handy when I have to transport 4 dogs plus 4 or 5 people too.

I love my van, it is easy to drive, the seat is very adjustable so you shouldn't have any hassles there. It doesn't really feel that big although I was used to driving round a large 4x4 before hand. I commute 100 miles in it pretty much everyday and its fuel ecomony is pretty good (especially when you consider the way I drive...)

I don't have any photos at the moment, but give me a couple of days and I'll be able to send you some if you like?

That sounds like a good recommendation, thank you.

The Berlingo is great but I don't think you would have the room, I have a big crate, fits 2 medium sized dogs and a small one for the JRT, I could poss get two JRT ones in on top of each other but there would be absolutely no room left for anything else. Fantastic amount of room without the crates though, you could get a large pig in there! :laugh:

we've now seen a mercedez vito, loved it, but think once we'd bought the van we couldn't afford to get the crates to fit it :mecry: :laugh: .

Also now considering a renault traffic as this is about the same size and parts would be cheaper, someone else has recommended the vw transporter but also think this is out of my price range, way out in fact.

Sarah, don't be jealous we haven't got it yet, it's still a dream for us to, the ideal would be someone who already has the crates fitted and needs to sell it cheap cause they have got something else lined up themselves, some hope I expect. :laugh:

we've now seen a mercedez vito, loved it, but think once we'd bought the van we couldn't afford to get the crates to fit it :mecry: :laugh: .

Also now considering a renault traffic as this is about the same size and parts would be cheaper, someone else has recommended the vw transporter but also think this is out of my price range, way out in fact.

Sarah, don't be jealous we haven't got it yet, it's still a dream for us to, the ideal would be someone who already has the crates fitted and needs to sell it cheap cause they have got something else lined up themselves, some hope I expect. :laugh:

Don't be put off by the mercedes label - their van parts are cheap! I was very very pleasantly surprised.

The auctions can be a great place to pick up used vans, mine was via an auction (well kinda we got it for almost auction price as we bought it from a dealer who had bought it literally the day before and hadn't spruced it up yet) it was previously an electricians van so hadn't done any heavy work either. I'll admit the van plus cages did come to just shy of £6k though.

Don't be put off by the mercedes label - their van parts are cheap! I was very very pleasantly surprised.

The auctions can be a great place to pick up used vans, mine was via an auction (well kinda we got it for almost auction price as we bought it from a dealer who had bought it literally the day before and hadn't spruced it up yet) it was previously an electricians van so hadn't done any heavy work either. I'll admit the van plus cages did come to just shy of £6k though.

Did you get the crates after buying the van, would you mind pm'ing me what they cost and where you got them from please?