UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Luposan Sensitive Dog Food

KathyM

Hiya you lot - just wondering if anyone has tried this with their dogs? I've been looking for a grain free dry food for Dharma and thought I'd buy a sack from Zooplus as it's far cheaper than the alternatives. If anyone has used it can you tell me what sort of size bics it is? Thanks. :flowers:

Thanks - I might just buy a sack, she's not fussy (well she is at the minute but that's unusual for her - probably down to Seth's passing). Was just really being nosey to see if anyone else uses it here as it looks fairly smashing for a dry food. :flowers:

Orijen is what I wanted to try but it's waayyyy out of my budget at about £50 a sack - same with Timberwolf and Eaglepack. The nearest grain free in price to the Luposan is JWB Lamb or Turkey and Veg, but that doesn't wow me much (especially seeing as when I asked for a sample they sent me ferret food!). :laugh:

http://www.luposan.de/eng/ Sorry forgot the link! lol

I see Arden Grange do a potato and white fish one which is cereal and grain free, but it's 42% potato - I'm not sure how I'd feel feeding something that high in potato :unsure: - it's still around £36 for a 15kg sack too. Although I don't know what quantity of that, or Orijen, you'd need to feed, to see how they compared overall to others.

Thought I'd share a bit of initial feedback on this Luposan Sensitive dog food. We've bought a 20kg sack of the "Sport" (which is for "normal" dogs, so probably not for her haha!). They also make it in "Light" for older or more Rubenesque dogs.

Anyway it arrived this morning from Germany, which is bloomin' quick (ordered it the day before yesterday). Even before the sack was opened even my tummy was rumbling (I've had a long day out, it's not a fair judgement on me), it smells very meaty, much more intense than other "sensitive" (ie. boring) foods.

Texture was surprising - it looks like really big, fat, super dense chinchilla pellets/grass pellets in texture (although obviously meat instead of grasses lol). It's nothing like biscuits, there's no airy-ness to it, it's not spongelike. They're solid, snappable nuggets, very dense, about 1" long (some smaller, some longer). As such, when you weigh out the required weight it looks a surprisingly little amount. Dharma is on 500-600g a day and this in her bowl looks like just over half the amount she normally has of other brands. Still, other foods are biscuity and full of air. I noticed she has less wind after it. She really loved it, but had to take her time as it was dense enough to need her to actually chew for once, whehey! Normally after dinner she goes straight out into the garden to fart and burp at her content and have a wee if necessary lol - but today she came back in to give the bowl another clean. I'm seriously thinking of smearing this food on my washing up for her to do! :glare:

This is a pic:

luposan.jpg

I shall report back in a few days to tell you how she's doing, hopefully this will cure her smelly skin problems. That and the Domestos......

My cooking's probably more of a danger than her cleaning the plates :laugh:

Well, the next day toilet test has been passed (pardon the pun). Small, firm poo, which is much better than normal. We noticed she had far less wind last night, she didn't make me gag once through our late night telly curled up on the sofa. :biggrin:

I gave her another shower yesterday, so can't really judge on whether it's helping her smell, but so far so good.

• 3 months later...

Well reporting back on this.....

Dharma gained a lot of weight on this food, maybe because of the spuds? We put her onto the "Light" version and she gained even more. :rolleyes: Only Dharma eh? She hated the stuff too and I suspect having to mix in low fat cottage cheese or sardines every day to make her eat was one issue!

Zooplus had initially had this down at a competitive price, but then hoiked it up to over £50 a sack the other day. It then got reduced to £39, but it just isn't worth it to her (I'm not saying it's not good value at that price for dogs who do well on it as it is and it's a 20kg sack).

We now are waiting for a trial pack of a new food called Challenge Salmon and Potato. At £27 a sack this might be the one. I bloody hope so!

http://www.challengedogfood.com/productrange.html

Sharon from Challenge is really lovely and helpful, and the food comes in two different protein levels, which is ace considering it's hard enough finding grain free from a company, but having two to choose from is fantastic!

oh no, it is frustrating when they hoik the prices up. i had a food panic earlier in the year but at this moment in time i can still afford to feed them the trovet duck and potato, one dog is being fed a heck of a lot less than she should be to keep her weight down and the other dog has to be fed double to keep him looking healthy so just goes to show that feeding guidlines are not accurate. i really hope you find this new food suits dharma and she doesn't gain weight on this one too :)

What about Wellbeloved ? they do a lamb and veg now.

I buy Orijen, it is very expensive but I don't have to feed nearly as much of it as the Wellbeloved. I bought my last bag on the 29th of Dec......this is February, and I still have about half a bag, it costs £45 , so it will last untill the end of the month at least, so for two Staffies thats about £22 a month......not bad.

I haven't thought about using JWB because of the whole Mars/Pedigree/animal testing side of things, but that was a while back, are they still owned by them? Orijen is just way too overpriced for us here, Dharma's a bullmastiff and it's cheaper to homecook daily than to buy that for her. :laugh:

Anyway, this Challenge food looks ideal and isn't vastly overpriced, so we're going to see what the free bag that's on its way is like :)