UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"good Boy!"

ceemage

I've noticed that I tend to use the phrase "Good Boy!" with Oscar the Wonder Dog to mean two different things:

a) Praise -- "{You are/have been a} Good Boy!"

b) Imperative or Implorative -- "{Please be a} Good Boy!"

Is this confusing for him, or is the fact that I use different tone of voice and intonation for each more important than the actual words?

Of course, I probably over-use the phrase anyway. mrs ceemage has complained about being told that she is a "Good Boy!" several times. I usually try to claim I was talking to the dog (even when I wasn't) but this loses credibility when he's not even in the room. But the ultimate has to be a few weeks ago when I walked in the kitchen for breakfast just as the toaster popped, and (without thinking) I enthusiastically told the toaster that it was a "Good Boy!"

Tone of voice does make a difference but it is easier for the dog I think to have a different phrase. A lot of dogs struggle to understand "no" for the same reason - people use it for all kinds of things (I know I do) and its confusing for them.

I often get told off by OH for talking to him in my bright 'aren't you a good boy' voice, just like the dogs... :laughingsmiley:

Haven't done that to the toaster yet though...

I always think of the Farside cartoon showing what you say to your dog (bad dog Ginger, stay out of the garbage) and what your dog hears (blah, blah, blah Ginger, blah blah) :laugh:

I think phrases like 'good boy' are fine to use if you are just 'chatting' to your dog, it's all blah to him and he'll understand from your tone and body language if you're happy with him or not.

If you are trying to get him to do (or not do) something specific then you really need a clearer command. It's quite useful to have a 'special' word you can use to signal that he's getting things right and is about to be rewarded (like using a clicker). I use a very clipped 'good', but other people use things like 'win' as being more distinctive from normal chat.

I also try to praise what the dog has done, so rather than a general 'good boy' say 'good sit', 'good heel' etc.

'Oi' is also a very useful all-purpose training word in this house....... :laugh:

Edited by Fee

Its best to have two different phrases, though the tone of voice means a lot. I always think the people who say sit down! to their dog are storing up trouble, if they then want to teach the difference between sit and down :rolleyes: Your "requests" should be commands, and made in a totally different tone of voice, lower and firmer, but no need to shout, dogs have far better hearing than we do. When you say good boy, it should be in a very enthusiastic, higher tone. He'll soon know the difference. Personally I'd keep good boy for when he has been one....