UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed

lazydaisy

I am sitting here wrapped up in layers including a Welsh wool shawl!!. I don't put the heating on in the day because its just me here (ie kids at school) and I can't afford it.

I am thinking of buying an oil-filled radiator and wondered how much they cost to run per hour. I have looked in the trusty Argos catalog, there are l.5kw, 2kw and 3kw heaters. I know that the higher the kw rating is, the more expensive it is. But how do I work out how much per hour it would cost to run a radiator?

I am sure someone "here" will know.

Thanks in advance from chilly Wales :)

Edited by lazydaisy

I have one which I run 24/7 in my cellar, just to make sure everything is dry.

I've never found the cost a problem.

I've also just bought a couple ready for when it gets colder.......son likes the heat, I don't, so I'm going to put one in his bedroom, and one next to Tango's bed (lazy cat)! :rolleyes:

If you're thinking of buying a new one, don't pay loads extra for one with a timer. If you want it timed just use a plug in one...it works out much cheaper!

If your KW/h price was 19p per kw, and you used your oil filled rad for 60 hours per month, i worked it out to cost about £20 per month. (thats on a 1.5kw rad.)

Hope that helps a little. Im sure someone with a bit more knowledge will come along soon and be of more help than i am LOL

take the price per kilowatt hour (kwh), and multiply it by the number of kw of the heater - that is the price you will pay per hour.

So 1 kw costs 1x kwh price for every hour of use,

1.5 x kwh price per hour for 1.5 kw heater ,

2x kwh price per hour for 2kw heater

and 3x kwh price per hour for 3kw heater.