UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chat On Alan Titchmarsh Show Now

Jacobean

Caught the last minute of it!

Did anyone see the bit where Caroline Kisko said the KC is looking at introducing veterinary passports for some breeds, so they have to be deemed healthy before they can enter the show ring?

Anyone know whether the KC had these plans *before* the BBC programme, RSPCA/DT withdrawal from Crufts etc.?

Caught the last minute of it!

Did anyone see the bit where Caroline Kisko said the KC is looking at introducing veterinary passports for some breeds, so they have to be deemed healthy before they can enter the show ring?

Anyone know whether the KC had these plans *before* the BBC programme, RSPCA/DT withdrawal from Crufts etc.?

Yep, that was the only bit I saw, I was wondering how long that would take to do before a show, concidering how numerous some breeds are.

Will try and remember this. Hopefully others saw it as my head is as fluffy as KC woman's at the mo. Which is how she came across to me.

Involved in the discussion was Alan, Gloria Hunniford who had a Cav pup on her knee and a bloke who is editor of a magazine. Missed the very beginning.

She said KC can't go in too heavy handed as it won't work so they have to work away a bit at a time. The KC started 5 years ago dealing with the breed problems that the BBC programme was discussing. They have been dealing with vets, scientists regarding the various breeds. She realises that some of the breeds aren't right and they are working towards breeding out some of the problems. Bloke said so are these breeds still allowed to be shown and bred? She said it takes generations to get these things right so it will be a very slow process. (Not exact wording but gist of what was said)

Bloke argued against some of what she said. Mentioned a pekingnese (sp?) at crufts saying the dog who won wasn't at all healthy. He was shocked to see the state of it and just wants a dog to be a dog. As he's sure everyone out there does. Why breed wrinkles into dogs etc. She didn't answer.

Gloria butted in at one point saying she was shocked when she took her pup to the vet to be told she could potentially have an oversized brain and heart problems. She said she had never heard of it. She did go on to say she had retrievers over the years and now discovers they are supposed to have problems with cancer but none of hers did.

Alan said people are influenced by the KC and isn't it time for them to not accept breeders and to get tougher with folk. Her answer was the USA version of KC have done this and a different body was set up that the breeders went to instead. So it didn't solve the problem. They are worried that if they get tougher with breeders those breeders will walk away and then are lost.

Jacobean thoughts are - the breeders do just as they darn well want now you stupid woman. :angry:

Edited by Jacobean

Thanks Michelle :flowers:

Bloke argued against some of what she said. Mentioned a pekingnese (sp?) at crufts saying the dog who won wasn't at all healthy. He was shocked to see the state of it and just wants a dog to be a dog. As he's sure everyone out there does. Why breed wrinkles into dogs etc. She didn't answer.

Was that Ryan O'Meara of K9 Magazine?

I remember the Pekingnese - the poor thing had to be sat on an icepack for the presentation/photos etc. so they didn't overheat. I don't understand why breeders would want to create a situation like that for a dog, nor why that situation was deemed acceptable at a major show :(

If measures are put in place to improve dog health/welfare in this country and that means some breeders move away from the KC, perhaps one ought to question whether they should have been breeding in the first place?

I don't know I missed the very beginning when he introduced them all.

Yes "the bloke" said the Pekingnese couldn't even walk properly and couldn't cool down naturally afterwards. Had to be sat on ice. Yet that was the winner of Crufts. He said people just want dogs to be dogs. He said he is a big fan of bullbreeds and mentioned the English Bulldogs.

KC woman said in hindsight yes something should have been started years ago but the KC have been working for the last 5 years to make changes.

She also said they haven't threatened to pull Crufts from the BBC. They are in talks with the BBC.

Jacobean, I saw it all and you have covered all the salient points with a great deal of accuracy, if that's how good you are with a fluffy brain you must be really scary when at full speed! :laugh:

Woman was Caroline Kisko and having seen her speak on TV numerous times before, I would say that her demeanour today indicates that she feels very much on the back foot. Whether that is because of the current situation or because of some conversation backstage before the show I don't know.

Bloke was Ryan O'Meara, surprised that he seemed quite muted compared to his 'normal' self, but felt that he came over very well, firm but no hint of ranting.

Gloria Hunniford was holding Gemma, a 5 month old cav she 'rescued' from an okd lady who couldn't cope with a puppy. Not sure I would have used the term rescued, but it's all a matter of perception, I suppose. She was quite animated on the issue and I feel that Caroline Kisko may have had a much more difficult a time with her had the piece been longer.

Alan Tichmarch quite surprised me. He was quite probing given the time he had to speak in.

Would that interview have happened if the RSPCA hadn't pulled out of Crufts? I doubt it, so its helped hit the ladies wot lunch brigade so may have alerted many of the people who in their ignorance (meant literaaly, not as a derogatory term) fuel this situation when they buy puppies from bad breeders.

They have a bit of history, by the way, having recently appeared on a radio program together, during which a 'technical fault' meant that the line to Ms Cisko was lost for a while, so she was unable to anwser some of his points directly. He didn't give her a very easy time of it, and I don't think she really came across very well at all:

http://www.k9magazine.com/audiofile/Ryan-K...tm-Aug29-08.mp3

. She realises that some of the breeds aren't right and they are working towards breeding out some of the problems. She said it takes generations to get these things right so it will be a very slow process.

:angry:

i'm no expert and i dont really agree with breeding more dogs but............ i would have thought the easiest solution would be, just dont breed from these deformed dogs but from a healthy example without interfering with mother nature :worried_anim:

The breeds available now aren't as a result of mother nature so need to be made healthier. Not all breeds obviously, but those affected. Dogs that have trouble breathing, those with masses of wrinkles etc.

I don't actually believe that the KC are doing what is quoted above to be honest but that's my opinion.

You could do with taking my angry emoticon out because it wasn't where you've placed it.

Edited by Jacobean