UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Interview Next Week, Need Some Tips......

Tempest

I've got an interview next week to teach GCSE English at an adult education centre locally and I'm having a bit of a wibble as I left teaching in 2002 and feel like all knowledge I ever had has evaporated from my brain :laugh: This would only be teaching a couple of evenings a week so not enough for me to leave my current job unfortunately :(

Basically I taught secondary English for 2 years (did my NQT year and got to Easter in my second year and then left) and during that time I taught some GCSE but never took a class right the way through to their exams :unsure:

I've honestly not got a clue what I might be asked or what I need to brush up on but I'm guessing they're going to ask me how my experience transitions to teaching adults, how I'd put schemes of work together but I'm not sure how they'll test my subject knowledge.

Any advice greatly recieved :rolleyes:

oooh - sounds exciting :) Can you get hold of the current syllabus etc and make sure you're familiar with the required texts and assignments? I'm guessing they may well ask you to present a lesson plan or something at some point so useful to plan ahead...! If there is a choice of core texts could you make the decisions in advance of the interview and prep to explain your choices (demonstrating your knowledge?)

Sounds like the big thing will be about how you'll approach teaching adults rather than kids. I actually went to night classes to do A-level Maths a couple of years ago and left because she really did treat us like kids - very much spoonfeeding, no questions or discussion and I hated it!

If you've got the chance, then anything by Phil Race is fantastic, especially "Making Learning Happen", he's a fantastic guy who teaches people how to teach at college/uni level - but most importantly its about teaching adults and getting them motivated. Website is here Phil Race website Might be some interesting ideas for you??

Sorry if thats not helpful at all :laugh: and lots of luck :GroupHug:

Thanks guys - some great stuff there :wink:

At the moment I don't know which exam board they use and the syllabus can vary from each so in that sense I'm not sure what the text options are which doesn't really help a great deal :laugh:

I'll take a look at that website purple mog :wink:

I think it just feels like so many years since I taught I can't even remember what I did :laugh:

When I read your post I thought it was about me! I have an interview to teach English at a FE college next week, and have been out of teaching for 18 mths. I have been told I have to prepare a "micro-lesson" whatever that is. Why dont you phone the college and ask if you have to prepare a lesson? Good luck with your interview.

How to accommodate the different learning styles.

Schemes of work and lesson plans

How you would monitor students' progress

Type of mediums you will use to teach the subject (powerpoints seem to be very much in favour with many uni's and colleges, but you might need to check out what IT systems are in place at the centre)

How you would cope with problems

How you would keep the lesson on track if you get a couple of chatty students in that tend to disrupt by taking the topic off course

Thankfully I'm pretty sure I don't have to prepare a lesson - the interview is at Essex County Council as its for their evening courses for adult learners so its not really an FE college as such.

I currently work for a publishing company as an editor - so am basically editing news stories for most of the day so at least I'm used to picking up errors in writing :laugh:

I think that's what's worrying me - I've got no schemes of work or lessons plans thought up at all tbh as I'm not even quite sure what the syllabus is :laugh:

Unfortunately Nat I'll still have to stay with my full time job as this will only be a couple of hours for a couple of evenings a week (if I get it that is :laugh: )

Yes but it's a door opening... they might give you more hours in time (that's what happened with my old lodger) and it will give you experience back in teaching to apply for other jobs etc... You never know what's round the corner :)

Edited cos I am posting like it's a forgone conclusion :laugh: See, I have faith in you!

Edited by Natpants

Had the interview yesterday and I *think* it went okay - I was in there for an hour and 40 mins so not sure if that's a good or bad sign :laugh: I got on well with the two interviewers and *think* I answered all the questions pretty well.

They said they'll let me know in the next few days (mind you the job starts on the 8th of September so they better get a wriggle on :laugh: )