UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Paw Shaking Bafflement

Ciren

i have been trying to teach Peaches to shake paws, she seems to have slowly been getting the idea. over the last few days it seems when she thinks i am going to ask her to do it or even if i have she will turn and walk away. i don't think she is in pain as she isnt yelping, she seems happy enough to do other things but this one things .

anyone got any idea's why she doesnt want to do this one thing?

Could be that you are over-praising her? Sounds stupid but sometimes dogs get worried by lots of hands on, close and physical contact even if it is meant with the best of intentions. If she's ex-puppy farm then that might be quite stressful for her. Just a totally random thought there! Maybe just praise quietly with your voice, give her the treat, say 'ok' and you walk away before she does.

She sounds lovely :wub:

my rottie hates having his feet touched but somewhere in his past, someone taught him to shake paws. Now he offers his paw, and when you take it, he grumbles at you till you let go. bless him, he tries but its not a part of training he enjoys.

this might sound a little strange, so bare with me! It could be that she's finding it stressful for what ever reason (all of the previously given ones to be honest). regardless how about trying to do very very shirt training sessions - I mean like no more than 1-2 minutes long. Start with something easy she definitely knows and enjoys doing and reward generously. Then give your hand/voice cue for paw and if she responds - plenty of treats/fuss IF she enjoys that and then end the session.

So she's getting the training, but in short chunks so no need for her to shut-down under pressure (I have a collie who does this even when I think he knows a behaviour or is having fun, sometimes the pressure is too much and he just heads for his bed).

Assuming you're not using hands-on methods? As in are you picking up her paw or using treats/lures to get her to offer it?

thats how i started, she didnt seem to mind me picking her paw up. i will try the leaving it after the first time and see how she does.

end of the day if it making her unhappy i will probably skip teaching her that as i wouldnt want her to be upset.