UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Roly & Snoopy Have Made A Lot Of People Happy Tonight

melissa

My mum went in to residential care 3 weeks ago (she has dementia) I decided to take Roly & Snoopy tonight. Have to say I was a bit worried that Roly would hate it as he is so timid but how wrong could I be! they both seemed to know the people were unwell and went round everyone being stroked, they had a good run around the garden (with Mary & Margo who are well in their 80's!) the duty manager made them so welcome, provided water & told me to let them off and just do whatever they felt like! She said that Mary sits in her chair all day not participating & that it was lovely to see her pottering about in the garden with the dogs. They queued nicely for the tea trolley and must have had more rich tea biscuits & pink wafers than they have ever seen in their life :laugh: They were absolute stars and they have been adopted as unofficial pat dogs, I have been ordered by the residents to bring them everytime I come! It really seemed to cheer everyone up & I am so proud of my pair of oldies they really made so many people's day, including my mum :biggrin:

Oh that's lovely :biggrin: . They provided a wonderful window of happiness during what sometimes must be very sad and anxious visits for you, truely precious.

Certainly they earnt their pink wafers. God I haven't had those in years. really want some now :wacko:

One of the carers told me last night that Mary still had a picture of her dog in her room, she had to rehome him (a westie) to come in to care. It showed me the other side of the coin so sad that elderley people can't take them with them. On a positive note the group do have dogs in some homes but this particular one doesn't simply because they haven't thought about it, needless to say i said it would be a perfect retirement home for an oldie too, lots of attention, nice grounds to roam in and of course more biscuits than they could ever dream of :laugh:

Edited by melissa