UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where To Go Abroad On Holiday

Peachy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Monaco ? I remember many years ago I was looking for the same answers as you, at the time I was told that Monaco had exceptional animal welfare laws, however this was about 20 years ago so things may have changed.

What about Monaco ? I remember many years ago I was looking for the same answers as you, at the time I was told that Monaco had exceptional animal welfare laws, however this was about 20 years ago so things may have changed.

I'll second that although I was there years before that and it was brilliant then and things tend to get better not worse.

It is also one of the cleanest places I have ever been to.

But you must NOT swin in the harbour - they don't like that sort of thing. :laugh:

Thanks for the information. I've googled Naples/stray dogs and there is information agreeing with you.

Is Italy similar all over? :unsure:

One for RMF: Holidays are a headache!

No Italy is not the same all over. The north and the south are totally different, at times it feels it is like 2 different countries.

I am from the north originally (Varese) between Milan and Switzerland , our area is considered the lake district area because of the number of lakes we have just ot give you an idea have a look at http://www.thomsonlakes.co.uk/destinations...ake+maggiore+b#

Lake Garda is always very popular, friends of mine from London have been going there for the last 10 years and never mentioned anything about strays etc.

Sea holiday you could look at places around Venice like Lido di Jesolo, not sure what it is like now last time I went there I was 10 years old and I cannot stand Venice.

Another option is the Italian riviera basically the Liguria are ,bordering the south of France you won't be very fram from Cannes etc. Places like San Remo etc are very popular my ex boss's father loved it there.

My favourite would be the Tuscany coast, I just love this area and Florence is one of my all time favourite places.

From Rome down the situation as far as animals is concerned is not good, lots of strays and total different mentality re animals.

Given what you are looking for re your holiday avoid Eastern Europe:

Bulgaria I know it well as we lived there for 18 months, strays everywhere. Dogs have really no value unless they are pure breeds. Romania for what I have seen and heard is same as Bulgaria.

One of my English best friend is married to an Hungarian and she tells me things are not much better there.

Turkey another friend from London has told me some horror stories about animal abuse and situation about strays. her parents have a home in Turkey and spend half of the year there

Brilliant ideas from everyone!! :flowers:

I hadn't thought of a cruise but have done one before and only got off for a short while. It felt a bit limiting but it was still really good fun and a great experience. Definitely worth discussing!

I was looking at flights and hotels in Pisa, Marseille and Nice earlier today so thank you all for your comments and knowledge. Gio - great insight, thanks so much :flowers:

Today, we popped to the sales in Oxford and Steve bought some bright beach shorts and I bought a couple of bikinis. Just need the holiday now :laugh:

I've driven down to SW France over the last 2 days, last night I stayed at a gite and the English lady who owns it is over run with cats, she keeps feeding all the ferals, one is now in her kitchen with 4 kittens. There's another in the barn somewhere with 6 kittens, Louise doesn't know where they are exactly now because the mother has moved them. She does her best for them but it is very expensive and her bookings for the gites are way down this year. She may have to sell up but is now so worried about the cats, including kittens I think she's looking after 18 in all, 2 of them are 'her own' cats. She does keep getting them neutered and castrated but more turn up every spring pregnant and she says its difficult finding new homes for them and she can't afford to keep paying vets fees.

I'm afraid I saw a few dead kittens/cats on the road on the way down today. We're in such a rural location and have huge numbers of ferals. They don't come here though, probably because they know there are dogs here on a regular basis. I must say I haven't seen any cruelty cases around here in the towns, the dogs tend to be allowed to wander but we see the same ones every time we're here and they all have collars on and are obviously wel fed. It is actually against the law here to allow dogs to wander but it doesn't seem to count for much as far as the owners are concerned.