UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Horrified

Red Rotties

the book is A beginner's guide to dog care by Clarke Fuller :flowers:

A review of mine would be... a book for the beginner to keep away from. The days of yelling at your dog, hitting it with newspaper and yanking it with a choke chain are long gone, thank goodness! Try the Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey or a good training class in your area!

Nicked a bit of yours!! :wink:

Unfortunately this book seems to be living in a dark and disgraceful age. Any new puppy owners who follow the advise are going to be asking for trouble. This book advocates what I would consider abuse in the disguse of training.

Try the Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey or a good training class in your area!

Unfortunately Amazon say they review the comments, so lets hope they allow it!!

Nicked a bit of yours!! :wink:

Unfortunately this book seems to be living in a dark and disgraceful age. Any new puppy owners who follow the advise are going to be asking for trouble. This book advocates what I would consider abuse in the disguse of training.

Try the Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey or a good training class in your area!

Unfortunately Amazon say they review the comments, so lets hope they allow it!!

I find they are usually quite good about publishing critical comments, particularly if you have recommended another book that people can buy from them instead. (checks - yes, they have published your review!)

when we had the secondhand / antiquarian bookshops, i ended up pulling the older dog training books off the shelves. One particular one advocated a good hefty knee in the dogs chest to cure jumping up. couldn't guarantee that some loon wouldnt buy thinking it was ok methods to use.

Whats the name of the book ? I could try later on today or tonight to put a comment in ,although I don't know if it will let me do it since I haven't bought the book.

If you want a real shocker of a book try reading some really old books, one that I read by a guy who was very famous in the States advises, to stop a dog digging holes in the garden, fill the hole with water and hold the dogs head under the water untill it's half drowned :angry:

Can you believe he is th bloke that trained all the Disney dogs! That book reads more like a horror story!! :angry: Yet it has a raving review on Amazon.

Can you believe he is th bloke that trained all the Disney dogs! That book reads more like a horror story!! :angry: Yet it has a raving review on Amazon.

Thats the chap ! what was his name ?.......something Most ? I couldn't believe what I was reading, I think there are still "acadamies" run by his son, although I don't think the son has carried on with his dad's methods.

The Koehler Method of Dog Training (by W.R.Koehler).

Mr. Koehler developed the method in class format in 1946. In 1962 he published the book by the same name. It is currently in it's 39th printing and has never been revised

A teacher, trainer and author who worked as the Chief Trainer for Walt Disney Studios for more than 20 years, Bill still managed to find the time to write six books and act as Chief Trainer for the Orange Empire Dog Club.

His answer to a dog that continually messes in the house is to tie it up near its mess and take a stick to it and 'really lay it on'. Return every 10 minutes or so and repeat.

His training method is still used all over the world and is in great demand. His son now continues the family bussiness.

The Koehler Method of Dog Training (by W.R.Koehler).

Mr. Koehler developed the method in class format in 1946. In 1962 he published the book by the same name. It is currently in it's 39th printing and has never been revised

A teacher, trainer and author who worked as the Chief Trainer for Walt Disney Studios for more than 20 years, Bill still managed to find the time to write six books and act as Chief Trainer for the Orange Empire Dog Club.

His answer to a dog that continually messes in the house is to tie it up near its mess and take a stick to it and 'really lay it on'. Return every 10 minutes or so and repeat.

His training method is still used all over the world and is in great demand. His son now continues the family bussiness.

Where the hell did I get Most from ? :wacko: :laugh:

Where the hell did I get Most from ? :wacko: :laugh:

..... because you are thinking of Colonal Konrad Most who was way ahead of his time with regard to dog behaviour and is where a lot of todays modern training methods come from.

This is very brief but gives you a quick low down ....

http://www.dogwise.com/SearchResults.cfm?S...ubSearch=author

Sandra :flowers:

..... because you are thinking of Colonal Konrad Most who was way ahead of his time with regard to dog behaviour and is where a lot of todays modern training methods come from.

This is very brief but gives you a quick low down ....

http://www.dogwise.com/SearchResults.cfm?S...ubSearch=author

Sandra :flowers:

Ah, your quite right :biggrin: , I also always get Konrad Most mixed up with Konrad Lorenz too :rolleyes:

Thank god for fugee's when I'm having a senile moment :flowers: :laugh: