UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rescues Taking On Very Ill Dogs.

raiye

How do they turn them away?

I couldn't ever condemn a rescue for trying to do whatever they thought best for the animal they rescued.

I would however be very disappointed if they turned/walked away from an animal in desperate need of help.

Depends on the serious illness I suppose too, the funds the rescue has available at that time and how long the problem will exist for and the quality of life for the dog. I dont suppose many rescues would turn away from a dog in desperate need of treatment but there are many things to be took in to consideration.

In that case, try to take it and then make via a vet a informed decision into the dogs future.

I suppose we are all different, I had a dog with cancer and after talks with my vet decided against chemo for him as the vets told me it would only give us at the most extra six months and let him go after a really good couple of weeks together, others in my position would have took the treatment, doesnt mean either of us would be wrong, just feel differently about it!

Edited by Red Rotties

Am talking more about dogs advertised for sale as poorly.

I would think there may be more 'issues' about a rescue 'buying' any dog?

In general, I would say if a rescue (or anybody else) can offer help to an animal, then go for it.

I suppose it depends on the severity of the condition. GSD rescue have just taken a bitch with suspected EPI, she is bone thin. But she has a lovely nature so her outlook is good and she has a chance of being rehomed. Mack (see fundraising section) again is a dog with a medical condition, he came into Sheffield stray kennels with those bad ears due to neglect but he is a lovely nature.

I would think there may be more 'issues' about a rescue 'buying' any dog?

In general, I would say if a rescue (or anybody else) can offer help to an animal, then go for it.

I agree. If a dog needs help it needs help and if someone can give it or has the capacity to raise funds for its treatment then they should do so.

I think it would be very sad if any rescue turned away a dog in need of medical treatment, it might be its only chance... :unsure:

And rescues do have special fundraising for special cases - at the Bath Cats and Dogs Home we recently had a big fundraise for a lab called Dly, born with hip dysplasia (sp?) to cover her treatment and physiotherapy I believe. It was very successful, and tons of people also came forward to home her xx