UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Stair Gate Recommendations

Karen

We have a stair gate to stop Lily going up the stairs, as coming down puts a lot of stress on her elbows. Its the sort of gate with a bar at the bottom.

Since OH came home from having his knee replaced last week, I've had to take the gate down so he can safely navigate the stairs. Lily has resumed going upstairs with great glee, she loves sleeping under OH's desk. But now we've got to the point that she's really lame.

So, I think what we need is a gate without a bar at the bottom, easy to fit (wall one side and wood the other) and with as wide an opening as possible for OH and 2 crutches to navigate. I'd like to be able to get it in the next day or so too - so something I can buy from a shop is better than mail order.

Any recommendations please?

I like the idea of a wood gate - I didn't know that you could get them (can you tell that I don't have children?!), thank you :flowers: .

I'm trying to look closely at the pictures to try and judge if a particular one is easier to install than the others.

i had this one for king as he could step over normal gate ....this is little taller and wider

282-0983385A68UC418848M.jpg

LINK TO ARGOS

I was going to suggest that one too as we had one as well. It doesn't need screws to attach it to the wall which makes it useful if you need to move it or want to use it in a different place, fits doorways and stairs but I'm not sure it would be that easy for someone on crutches to use, the opening is not that wide. Don't worry about the catch at the bottom, we never used to have that on, just kept it in the open position.

Edited by Nettie

i had this one for king as he could step over normal gate ....this is little taller and wider

282-0983385A68UC418848M.jpg

LINK TO ARGOS

That's almost exactly the one we currently have. The bar across the bottom makes it impossible for OH to navigate though as he can't turn his foot or step up/down two steps.

I have one of those taller pet ones from argoos. blummin fab. should have got one years ago. can now come into the house without being mobbed.

what about one of those kiddyguard retractable fabric ones? they're like roller blinds. Useless for our guys who love to hang over it yelling but for a less enthusiastic pooch?

bonus is no trip hazard at all and when they're restracted they are practically invisible. think mothercare sell them.

I have the one in this pic which is brilliant. It is unusual in that you just push down the bar in the middle and it has rubber stoppers on which hold it in place, then when you want to go through, you literally lift it up and it comes away and you can put it out of the way very easily when not in use.

8329.jpg

It's wide enough that it will go across the hallway if I want to use it there as well (wall to wall). I can't remember where I got it from (the pic is from an American site) but I will have a look if I've got a link somewhere at home if you are interested :flowers:

Edited by merledogs