UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Play With Toys

Ciren

Peaches is a happy little dog but she has no idea what to do with toys, you wave one at her and she looks at you as if to say what am i supposed to do with that.

has anyone got any suggestions on what i could do to teach her how to play, i would love to play fetch etc with her but atm i can't even get her to carry a toy in her mouth.

i had thought of rubbing chicken all over some of them to see if she would get the idea.

Henry is like this. He is not toy orientated at all. What we do with him is get a brightly coloured tennis ball, roll it around him and tease him with it. He likes it when it rolls and when he chases it we cheer and clap and generally get very excited. :wink:

Been doing this the last few weeks and he loves all the praise. He hasnt started bringing it back yet though :)

How long has she been with you now? Maybe its still early days? She needs to feel comfortable with you before you start waving things at her. :) Not sure about you would attempt it, but I know that others have. I'm sure those in the evening will have some ideas for you :flowers:

probably is early days still, it just doesnt feellike it :D i feellike she has always been here.

if i try and tease her she just looks scared/unsure.

if i go down the bottom of the garden with her and say come on! in a exited way she charges up the path tail and tongue going heading for the back door, she doent slow till she gets in the front room.

i have tried it going the other way but she just sits and looks at me.

Give her time and don't wave toys in her face as you may frighten her. Get a ball and roll it up and down the living room and pounce on it as if you were a dog. Don't try to force it on her though, if she sees you playing with it, it may encourage her. If she looks scared then stop.

Alternatively, do you know someone close by with a friendly, playful dog who could demonstrate to her what to do? :flowers:

Give her time. It was months before Mollydog would play with toys when I was watching. To begin with she didn't seem to know what to do with them. After a few weeks, if I left toys about, I would occasionally catch her playing in a room on her own, but if she saw me she would drop the toy and look guilty. Then she would play if I just watched, but was totally confused if I tried to join in and would stop. We have now finally got to the stage where she really quite likes toys and will play tuggy with me or dash about with her toys and sometimes even retrieve them if I throw them for her - but it took us ages to get there!

Don't wave the toy in her face, but try playing with it yourself. Try leaving some toys where she can get at them. Eventually when she feels comfortable, she will feel able to join in.

The other thing I'd say is try a few different types, shapes and textures of toy. Even now, Mollydog will not play with anything made of any kind of plastic, wood or rope. She will only play with furry toys and things made of fleece, and she will not play with balls, even furry ones with squeakers. Peaches will probably have other preferences, but you'll need a choice to find out what they are!

The idea of watching other dogs play is a good one too, Molls has picked up loads that way (most usefully, how to climb stiles!)

if i go down the bottom of the garden with her and say come on! in a exited way she charges up the path tail and tongue going heading for the back door, she doent slow till she gets in the front room.

i have tried it going the other way but she just sits and looks at me.

it sounds like the house is where she feels safe, so that would be why she will hurry to get to, but not away from the house. For now, maybe try only bring out the toys inside where she has more confidence? And as others say, let her see you play with them, but don't force her to take part and keep physical distance so she doesn't feel the need to get worried and back off from you.

Peaches is a happy little dog but she has no idea what to do with toys

Sorry, I've been a little out of touch here for a while but I seem to think that Peaches is new to you and your home :unsure:

As long as she's happy I wouldn't worry about the toy thing at all. If she is a new girl she might just be taking her time to get accustomed to everything, finding her own way around what she might and might not like. I wouldn't pressure her.

My lad was with me for many months, had many different kinds of toy (including tennis balls) but *took no interest in them at all. He happened upon the most beaten up scabby old tennis ball in some long grass on a walk one day, brought it home and has been a one for throwing toys ever since. I think he just needed to discover the delights of playing in his own way and in his own time.

Nearly 2 years on he still doesn't play with toys in the house or garden at all - only ever when we're out - but he's so obviously happy that I don't feel he's missing out on anything. He seems to regard "home" as a place for relaxation and "out and about" as the place for fun and games, which I have to say suits me just fine. My dog is just like me! :biggrin:

If you really want Peaches to play with toys, I'd concur with Rudi's suggestion of a Kong stuffed with goodies. I honestly wouldn't worry that she's missing out on anything if she seems happy though. Dogs are every bit as individual as children - some like a game of footy, others prefer quieter things like colouring in.

*He was interested in life in general, enthusiastic about cuddles and walks and healthy as confirmed by the vet hence me not worrying about his indifference to toys :flowers:

Edited by Alison

thanks for all the tips and advice. i am not worried but since she had such a rotten start it would be nice to see her enjoying herself playing.

i think the treat ball would be a nice idea since she does enjoy her kibble! she has a kong but apart from licking it she doesnt seem to understand what else to do with it and ignores it.