UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are Our Dog's Conditioned?

melissa

:unsure: funny & weird...I was in the living room with both Roly & Snoops tonight, I have given in & started watching BB...well bits of it...the alarm that they play in to the house was played to wake the residents up & it was the exact same noise as my alarm clock that goes off at 6.45 every morning. Although we were all together both dogs ran upstairs to my bedroom?! & started pawing at my bed which is what they usually do every morning (they sleep in the spare room or downstairs, whatever takes their fancy) strange considering we were all downstairs anyway! Always wondered how they know it is dinner time & sussed that it is more or less the same time the boiler kicks in for heating or hot water - smarter than we think maybe or just conditioned to a routine?! :rolleyes:

Absolutely no doubt noises act as triggers.

Years ago the ex and I were devotees of Pet Rescue. It used to end at 6pm. They brought it forward a half hour so it finished at 5.30. Pet Rescues theme tune meant DINNER - could we get them out of going bonkers at the sound of it? Could we heck.

I think they do get conditioned into our routine.

Years ago (many years!!) our Labrador used to know when me and my brother were due home from school. We lived in a pub so the living room was upstairs and she would go and watch from the window to see us coming down the road :wub:

Despite me working funny hours my own dogs have got used to my routine yet still get all fidgety around dinner time, so despite the time I am leaving for work, they know they are due to get fed :rolleyes:

Great thread (oh and bring back Pet Rescue!). I'm in the definitely both camp as it's the same really - associations. We know that people wearing certain things means they are going certain places for example, and dogs are just as smart. The associations can be sounds, movements, routines, anything. Especially strong when it's walkies or foooood :laugh:

I've probably said it a zillion times before but I will never forget Ted and the microwave/smoke alarm incident. The new microwave ping sounded so much like the smoke alarm it spooked us as well but Ted was rigid at the top of the stairs looking down and would not be swayed or moved until 'he' was confident there was no smoke. Everything acts as triggers same as with us but I do think that sound is a particularly effective one.

Definately, my four always get fed their evening meal at 5pm, and I don't know how but they know exactly when they should be getting it and start barking if I'm a few minutes late.

Strangley, Roxy somehow knows when I'm going to bath her, and she runs away and hides. I don't do it at a set time, don't say a particular word, it's quite random really but I suppose there must be something subtle in my body language she picks up on. Maybe she senses me feeling guilty!

My dogs were conditioned to Home & Away - soon as it finished I walked them and if for some reason I wasn't planning on taking them out straight away after, I had to sit with my finger on the control to switch the TV off or change channels before the music started. I reckon Billy used to know though, as he'd sit looking at the TV and then back at me several times, looking very suspicious of me!

We often look through our various forums on the computer before going to bed. The dogs are usually lying on the floor at our feet. The minute we switched the computers off and they hear the music they run downstairs to the door to be let out for their final wee of the day.

Diane

Well, Ruby`s conditioning system must need a major overhaul then as she pays no attention whatsoever to our alarm in the mornings.

One of our other dogs though would always expect her early am walk by 0600 and would get all twitchy if you were late (not good on a weekend !) and also at about 2100 hrs when she would be ready for her night-time walk.

They are funny arn't they?

My two deaf dogs sleep with me and as soon as I turn the alarm off they know by my movement that it's time to get up and jump about all over me ... if the alarm is not on and I just get up about the same time for a wee neither of them turn a hair !

Poppy will go nuts if Hollyoaks comes on tv even if shes already eaten her tea, and she still occaisonally gets on my lap begging for dinner if she hears the neighbours theme tune (used to be dinner time when she was a baby, shes 5 now!).