UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Warning For Those With Horses

collies r best

Says in this week's Horse and Hound that Staffordshire Police have had NO reports of horse thefts in their area. :unsure:

At last!!! Sorry but the jungle drums have been beating all kinds of worrying FALSE information and it's spread like wild fire. There have been NO thefts in Staffs, I live here, I've spoken to Staffs. Horsewatch directly, I get the crime reports from the police, I get the local papers. NO THEFTS!!!! Why is that harder to believe than the stories???? :wacko: :wacko: Sorry, just been head and brick wall banging time.

Not to say that there is cause to be concerned but that's always the case anyway.

Hampshire horsewatch sent out an update yesterday regarding all this, it was stuck on our tackroom noticeboard last night, but I can't find a link to it.

In a nutshell it said although no thefts have taken place, the warnings regarding men taking photos of horses are genuine, there have been incidents reported to the police in various counties, the police think that the reg plate mentioned has been cloned, hence why it is being seen up and down the country :(

One of the people on our yard spotted a grey haired, balding bloke in a red car with what turned out to be false number plates (not sure of the make/model yet) parked up and looking at our horses this week in quite a remote area of County Durham. Also reports of two men of eastern european appearance in a white van videoing horses in the same county just two miles away.

There might not have been any thefts reported yet in our county but that doesn't mean to say there won't be any so I for one am taking it seriously. My horse is in at night and protected by various security measures including a couple of enormous dogs with no sense of humour when it comes to strangers, but all the horses that are out 24/7 have been moved to back fields well away from the roads.

The original warning has always been serious. Never had an issue with that but when gossip and unsubstantiated stories start flying around everywhere then that's when you get trouble, not to mention sheer panic. It buries the truth and causes a lot of unnecesary distress.

When passing things on from an unknown source, it's very important in my opinion to ensure that what you are passing in is in fact True.

If everybody sticks to the original warning then the message will remain clear and bold and will result in no confusion.

If that was aimed at me, I don't see any confusion or panic, or anything in the OP that says horses have been actually stolen, I just see horse people letting their community know to be extra vigilant, just in case. It doesn't hurt to review the security arrangements that keep our horses safe.

This was in the Southport Champion this Weds.(have left out name etc):

A 63 year old assumed that some major wrong doing was underway when he saw two police running in his direction on Thursday June 5th, only to find that he was their target after photographing a horse. As a keen artist who often enjoys taking pictures for painting purposes, he also claims to have taken pictures of chickens, cows, sheep and bridges during a bike ride through the area with a friend.

he told the Champion "They said 'somebody's reported that you may be planning to steal horses as you were taking photographs'. I didn't know whether to laugh or be annoyed".

He voluntarily deleted the picture from the camera before police proceeded to take down his details and fill in a stop form.

Over the past week police forces across the North of England have issued warnings to horse owners, after men appearing to be Eastern European have been spotted driving vans and taking pictures of horses with the intention of stealing them to order.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside police denied that stopping all members of the public who photograph the anmal is a standard police tactic, however she said: "A memo has been circulated for officers to be aware so they will have responded accordingly".

The spokeswoman also confirmed that police must fill in a stop form as a routine procedure whenever they stop someone.

If that was aimed at me, I don't see any confusion or panic, or anything in the OP that says horses have been actually stolen, I just see horse people letting their community know to be extra vigilant, just in case. It doesn't hurt to review the security arrangements that keep our horses safe.

Read further down on page 1.

I read today in my friends horse ad's paper that this had been blown out of all proportion, there had been one incident, the number on the white van had been cloned from some poor blokes car who was very surprised and upset to learn what had happened, but apart from the one incident the police said there had been no other sightings or reports known to them,but if I had a horse I'd certainly be on the look out

Sadly the horse that disappeared from Maisemore has been found dead in a ditch :mecry: It seems that he had escaped from his field and was not stolen. Gallop free dear lad :wub:

Do not have details as yet about the Lowbands horses but will try and find out more. Our neighbour who runs a horse transport business was told by her vet a couple of days ago so will try and get more info' from her :)