UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Parents And The Thing They Do

yena

My Mum never had a mobile phone until she moved abroad. I used to get quite upset because her texts were very short and almost curt. :(

One day not long after she moved I got a text that said ' IN PORT V,HOT SPK SOON x' (which was letting me know she was 'in POrtugal, it was very hot and we would speak soon :rolleyes: ) I called her to ask why her texts were so short...... the silly git thought you paid per word and was trying to be frugal with her top up :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last year my sister took my mum on holiday to a caravan park. One morning, mum got up early and went for a walk. Four hours later, mum still wasn't back. The police had been called and hospitals checked. She was found, still wandering around the caravan site looking for the right van. "They all look the same to me" says mum, :rolleyes:

My dad could have done with some sort of height bleeper - he got his camper van wedged under a bridge :wacko:

:laugh: :laugh:

Dad could not get to grips with mobile phones, in the days when we had top up cards he wanted to know where you shoved the card in and I have to admit OH asked the same question!

The mere thought of my Mum having a mobile phone gives me the giggles.

And Boosboss - I have the same trouble as your Mum. I still get myself lost sometimes on Hampstead Heath as one tree looks much the same as any aother to moi.

My Mum never had a mobile phone until she moved abroad. I used to get quite upset because her texts were very short and almost curt. :(

One day not long after she moved I got a text that said ' IN PORT V,HOT SPK SOON x' (which was letting me know she was 'in POrtugal, it was very hot and we would speak soon :rolleyes: ) I called her to ask why her texts were so short...... the silly git thought you paid per word and was trying to be frugal with her top up :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: My sister told my mum that when you text you can take out some of the vowels so that it makes words a bit shorter - mum went the whole hog and took all the vowels out, so her texts were complete gobbledegook.

Dad still shouts into his mobile phone - he treats it like it's a tin can and a piece of string :wacko:

My father in law was on holiday in his caravan 50 miles away and rang my OH to find out why he couldn't get his video recorder to work. After going through the many options my OH asked if it was plugged in to the electrical socket on the wall. My father in law said no, it didn't need to be as there was a cable from the television connecting it to the video and the television was plugged in!!!

He thought the cable was the power cable - he still didn't believe us and eventually went and asked someone in the next caravan if they could help :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

we bought my mum a set of two hands free phones, one for the living room and one for the bedroom so that she has one within easy reach at all times. She is 84 and lives in a sheltered housing block of flats and often goes down to the communal sitting room for coffee mornings so we told her to take it with her so we could always contact her. We still couldn't get through to her even tho she swore that she took it with her. We found out that she was unplugging it and taking the stand as well......................in case the battery ran out!! :rolleyes: I hasten to add that she is usually very sensible and agile, she still runs for the bus,takes the stairs two at a time and does all the shopping for the "old people".x