UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dew Claw Question

MissMagic

Wilma has once again snapped off one of her dew claws! This is the second time in as many months :wacko:

Do you guys think I should take the risk of having them removed at the vets under general anaesthetic or just keep dealing with the problem? The vet will do it if I want it done but that it doesn't have to be done.

She doesn't yelp or anything when she does it but this time it did bleed quite a lot. Last time she ripped the nail completely out of her foot.

I've had to take to covering it to stop her licking it as she has worked how to lick it even when she has an Elizabethan (bucket) collar on.

I don't want to have to stop playing fetch with her in order to avoid her doing it as she does love to play!

Just thought I'd ask your opinions!

I think I would have them removed TBH. Has she been spayed yet? If not, wait til she is under for that anyway.

She is already spayed which is why I've been umming and ahhing a little about putting her through another operation.

I'm glad you agree about having them removed :)

One of my own dogs have dew claws, but they are so soft and wobbly they never catch on anything. If she was troubled by them and kept ripping them, I would definitely have them off. The risk of infection and the licking/not healing properly etc is just not nice for anyone.

I think dew claws should be removed from all pups as early as possible. They can cause terrible damage if they catch on things. It is not a big op to remove them so if she is catching them on a regular basis and she is a healthy dog then I would have it done. x

could someone please explain what a dew claw is please? noob here trying to learn :laugh:

You can see the dew claw on the photo below, it's the one on the 'inside' of the foot that doesn't touch the floor.

180px-DogDewClawJake1_wb.jpg

It's sort of an evolutionary left over, it doesn't really have a purpose as far as I'm aware. Some dogs have them on the front and back, some only on the front.

Rudy ripped his dew claw out completely last Thursday. It bled for 15 minutes even with applying pressure. Took him to the vet last Friday moring and he was given an antibiotic. He didn't recommend covering it and said it was fine for Rudy to lick it. He doesn't think the claw will grow back, let's hope it doesn't!

I can understand why your thinking of having her dew claws removed, Spud keeps breaking his nails with all his barging about and it is a pain in the butt but an op seems a bit drastic to me, you could try these out before you decide Pro Paws I've had their boots and they are very well made

depends on the dog , I think some dogs dew claws are more vulnerable and the claw does not just break it rips out the surrounding tissue and is very painful

both my lurcher Noah and my mothers Greyhound Gracie had theres removed after catching them really badly a few times each ( Gracie's whilst walking on lead )

Over 2 years Noah caught his three times and he had to be knocked out so the vet could treat him then the 3rd time his claw became very infected and he was limping for a week and in a huge amount of discomfort

having them removed was the most sensible option for both Noah and Gracie and I asked the Vet to give them both a full dental whilst they were under GA

I think dew claws should be removed from all pups as early as possible. They can cause terrible damage if they catch on things.

I disagree completely. People use the same argument for tail docking.

It's a popular misconception that dew claws serve no purpose.

This is why they should not be removed unless they cause problems - and the vast majority don't.

http://www.sadonalabradors.com/dewclawsinjury.pdf

Pam