UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My New Foster, Rusty

Katiebob

Some of you will know that my latest foster, Rusty, was delivered to me yesterday, thanks to the generosity of Kaos, who very kindly went in to the home to rescue him from a pts situation.

He is a 3 years old rough collie. I really don't have enough energy to describe his home this evening because I'm too tired - let's just say that it wasn't ideal although his previous owners loved him to bits but had no idea!!

He arrived with Gwyn yesterday. He's been shaved but very badly to try to sort out his coat. I'm not sure I understand why because they said on the rehoming form that he was good to groom and today I've combed him a bit and he is tolerant to say the least :rolleyes: Anyway, never mind.

A couple of pics of Rusty:

970d0910a60d9c47c307a08d06ba3464.JPG

873653486525c9b5286da3e146458991.JPG

First pic shows him with Gemma, my 5 year old bitch. Second one is designed to show the state of his coat when he arrived. Being shorn and bathed (not by me) doesn't actually cover up a lot of neglect :(

Rusty is now safe and we'll find him a home where he can be cherished. He's very stessy but he's improving all the time and today ate both his breakfast and dinner which is a big plus because apparently he wasn't eating well at his previous home.

I'm now worried sick about his companion at this home - a rough collie bitch called Sandy. I'm sure you'll all be very impressed to know that Rusty isn't castrated and that Sandy isn't neutered either. I'm not sure currently whether she's had 1 or 2 litters but apparently Rusty tied with her on the day we picked her up so she could be pregnant now. I've advised them that the pregnancy can be terminated at this stage (and RC Rescue are willing to help).

Deep joy :(

These people asked for help around 6 months ago - we had homes lined up and then they changed their minds. Both dogs are in a worse state (especially if the bitch is now pregnant again :rolleyes: ) but what can we do? Basically nothing. Can't involve RSPCA because despite the state of Rusty's coat (even if he'd come in completely matted) they'd have been powerless to do anything! The dogs are adequately fed, watered and have shelter.

For the next week or so you'll be seeing a very nice 'me' indeed while I try to persuade the dogs' owner to sign over her bitch as well. :biggrin:

The questions: How can it be right that dogs can be left in a state of 'neglect' yet we can't do anything about it?

How on earth are we to educate people that you cant keep 2 dogs of opposite sexes and not neuter either of them????

Edited by Katiebob

poor little soul.

when will people realise that a long coated dog requires coat care.....and that collies are not a lassie DVD.

as for the neutering....what can one say-i think clare rayner did a birds & bees book-shall i send them a copy??

fee

Rusty :wub:

What a lovely lad he seems!

These situations are always difficult Di, particularly when you have to leave one behind. :(

Because it comes 'naturally' to us (being the kind of people who frequent these forums), we think that everyone should have some kind of basic, inbuilt knowledge / common sense regarding pet care.

I'm sure Rusty's last home meant no harm whatsoever, in fact they loved him dearly. They just have little idea of what it takes to provide basic care.

Take heart from the fact that they are 'trying' to do the right thing by the dogs now, and they can be worked on to let Sandy go too.

I'm more angry that two seperate breeders would home pups to people who had major family commitments, had never had a dog before, obviously hadn't a clue about what was involved caring for any pet, let alone two 9 - 11 weeks old pups ( something I wouldn't recommend for anyone), and whose coat I would find a challenge!

Guess it all comes back to Education, Education, Education ?!!

He's doing good :wub: :wub:

We've had a couple of spats but nothing major - and it's a BIG ask to come into a pack of 12 dogs, so bless him :) Considering he'd never lived with cats before he came here, he's being absolutely amazingly good with them too. Good thing that my cats don't run but he can't believe that they'll just lie down next to him or rub themselves all round him :rolleyes:

He's off to be neutered on Friday so poor little beggar will probably also have to learn what a buster collar is all about :laugh: