UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Summer Advice

Rumpole

i have had loads of calls over the last few days concerning hot dogs and grumpy dogs its that time of year where the bite records go through the roof as people have barbecues and lots of people round and their dog spends lots of time outdoors.

Dont want to teach anyone how to suck eggs but thought id bung the summer advice we have on BBAS up here for those contemplating getting a dog or those that are new to dog ownership

DOGS DIE IN HOT CARS

Leaving your dog in a parked car in the summer (even with the window left a few inches open), can cause heatstroke within minutes. Note: Leaving your dog in a car parked in the shade does not assure that your dog will not become seriously overheated. Shaded cars may still get very hot due to the the greenhouse effect, and the sun may also move enough to change shaded areas into sunny ones. Dogs left in parked cars also risk being stolen.

General Info: Heat exhaustion is often caused by over-exercising or running with a dog during hot weather. Both heatstroke and heat exhaustion can result in brain damage, heart failure or even death in a short period of time. Short muzzled or thick-coated breeds and mixes are particularly vulnerable, although any breed may be at risk, particularly black dogs. Always bring cool water along when walking, running or hiking with your dog during hot weather. To cool off an overheated dog, offer him plenty of water, then wet the dog's body and paws with cool water, then fan. A dog's normal internal body temperature is between 100.5 degrees F and 02 degrees F. Heatstroke is life threatening for dogs. Signs to watch for are: heavy, loud breathing, staggering gait, bright red gum tissue and tongue. If heatstroke is suspected, try to cool your dog down as quickly as possible with cool but not cold water, so as not to shock the dogs system and seek veterinary care quickly as this is a medical emergency.

If your pet is kept outdoors for any length of time during summer, make sure he has a shaded place and plenty of fresh water to drink. Your pet will need much more water in the summer to replenish what he loses by panting. Many dogs also enjoy swimming for exercise and to cool down, though they should not be allowed to swim in canals or slow moving water as there is an increased risk of leptospirosis and although dogs are vaccinated against this as part of their vaccination course they are only vacced against the more common strains and there is doubt that the vacc lasts more than six months, this is a terrible illness and often results in death. Please do not allow your dogs off lead near a canal as the high sides prevent your dog being able to climb out if he should fall in.

Heatstroke is life threatening for dogs. Signs to watch for are: heavy, loud breathing, staggering gait, bright red gum tissue and tongue. If heatstroke is suspected, try to cool your dog down as quickly as possible with cool but not cold water, so as not to shock the dogs system and seek veterinary care quickly as this is a medical emergency.

Prevent your dog from hanging his head out of a moving car or truck window when taking him for a ride. Bugs, small pebbles and other debris can injure his eyes, and he is also at risk of jumping out of the vehicle. Also, closing automatic car windows while your dog is hanging his head out of the car window is easily done if he steps on the button and can cause him or her serious harm.

Open Windows, Fire Escapes and Rooftops

During hot weather, many people leave a few windows open in their home to help create a nice cool cross-breeze. If you have a dog or cat at home, be certain to install secure window screens (or safety bars) in any of the windows which will be left open, or close all windows before leaving the house, if your dog sees or hears something exciting outside he may use an open window as an escape route even if he has never done so previously, also many companion animals fall out of windows, and fire-escapes every year and are often seriously injured or killed.

Protect Your Dog From Being Stolen

Companion animal theft is unfortunately a serious problem in this country. The number of companion animals that are stolen from backyards and from outside stores and supermarkets increases dramatically throughout Spring, Summer and Fall. Even the "safest" neighborhoods are not immune to this growing problem. The bottom line is: never leave your dog unsupervised if there is any risk that your dog could be poisoned or stolen.

If your pet is kept outdoors for any length of time during summer, make sure he has a shaded place and plenty of fresh water to drink. Your pet will need much more water in the summer to replenish what he loses by panting. Many dogs also enjoy swimming for exercise and to cool down.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to All About Dogs yesturday and it was hot. STILL people left dogs in cars even though it was broadcast often enough not to do it. The RSPCA said they would break into the cars to rescue them. I just hope the owners had the book thrown at them.

What is the point of going to a show like that and leaving them in a car to overheat and suffer.

Barbara

We went to All About Dogs yesturday and it was hot. STILL people left dogs in cars even though it was broadcast often enough not to do it. The RSPCA said they would break into the cars to rescue them. I just hope the owners had the book thrown at them.

What is the point of going to a show like that and leaving them in a car to overheat and suffer.

Barbara

It's disgusting, it was really hot yesterday - I was going to go but decided not to because of the heat - they wouldn't have enjoyed wandering around in it.

A good and timely reminder Mrs Rumpole :flowers:

Barbara

I remember at the last Wag & Bone Show they announced the same - including a litter of pups I recall :(

If your pet is kept outdoors for any length of time during summer, make sure he has a shaded place and plenty of fresh water to drink.

This reminded me of the poor dog that died last summer when he/she was left in the garden. There was no shade and the dog died - the poor thing had been trying to get behind the shed to find some shade but couldn't fit :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

I think it is cruel to take dogs to shows etc and then leave them in the car, why take them at all if they are to be left outside? I reported two suffering dogs yesterday that were left outside Sainsburys in boiling cars,not even parked in the shade (too far to walk across the car park I suppose!) :( But Sainsburys said that they could do nothing except put the numbers of the cars over the tannoy and the police didn't want to know, the dog warden is off at weekends and I couldn't contact the RSPCA so all I could do was report it to the help desk and hope the owners responded. :mad: My dogs love to sunbathe in spite of two being black coated, but the back door is permanantly open so they can come into a cool kitchen with quarry tiles on the floor and there is always a bucket of fresh water. I do wish people would think before they do things. x

No egg sucking at all, wise advise to all of us. The summer before last (or the summer before the one that wasn't!). I took Ted. to the local park (by car) and had half an hour of usual ball play. Now Ted. is a fit athletic dog but my god did I scare myself that day. Nothing more exerting than usual, just regular throwing and fetching of his tennis ball and throwing as a reward for some training. It wasn't blazing sunshine heat but it was very muggy. As we started to walk back to the car Ted. just lay on the floor panting hard. He tried to get up and walk but could only manage a few steps before laying down again. Sheer heat exhaustion from lack of oxygen I presume. After giving him time we very very slowly walked back to the car (only 2 mintues away in the car park). He panted hard for a while afterwards and took some time to fully recover. This was regular activity for a short period late afternoon (about 5pm). I have since learnt my lesson and stick to shady/water areas when it's muggy.

I cringe a little when I see owners letting their dogs run about as normal on the ground (as opposed to water etc) when it's hot. Just something we don't tend to think about I suppose.

I think it is cruel to take dogs to shows etc and then leave them in the car, why take them at all if they are to be left outside?

Absolutely, but then looking at the dogs walking round i also don't think it was wise to take them to walk round either. I saw so many little pups and big heavy coated dogs being dragged round. One terrier at the gates even looked like it had collapsed from heat exhaustion. Its not fair on the dog.

• 1 year later...

I'm sure that no-one on here needs reminding about hot cars etc, but as it has become so hot the last few days I thought I would find this excellent post by Mel and bump it up.

Every year we seem to read about sad deaths in cars that could have been preventable :( and it's not just cars to watch out for - just this week I read of a dog that died after being run around in the sun, they realised something was wrong and rushed the dog to the vets but it was too late :(

Does anyone know if there are any downloadable fliers about dogs and hot cars/heatstroke etc.? Just thinking they would be good to have printed and on stalls in this weather.

Tis difficult being a black dog in this weather :(

Edit, the RSPCA has a page: www.rspca.org.uk/keepdogscool but I can't see any fliers on there.

another thing my vet told me. If your dog has heat stroke or is over heated do not give them ice cubes to eat as it chills the insides too quickly. All water given to drink and external cooling should not be too cold. You could give your dog a heart attack. Ice cubes are fine for dogs in normal conditions. x

Edited by ranirottie

another thing my vet told me. If your dog has heat stroke or is over heated do not give them ice cubes to eat as it chills the insides too quickly. All water given to drink and external cooling should not be too cold. You could give your dog a heart attack. Ice cubes are fine for dogs in normal conditions. x

That's good advice :flowers: I'm afraid Spike is really sensitive to the heat now with his two heart conditions, so we are extra vigilant. Mostly stay at home now though.