UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Blocked Ears

nouggatti

I've a minor ear fetish in that I like to keep them clean with cotton buds.

The arrival of Ben puppy in Jan put an end to that as the ingenious thief finds and eats them.

I've started again, but my ears feel blocked, do I need to go to the doctors to have them syringed?

They feel blocked and irritated, anyone got any tips? (pardon the pun)

Marvellous, trip to the misogynistic shite on the cards then.

If you shouldn't use cotton buds what do you use?

Nothing. The ears should be self cleaning. If they aren't.. then you need the help of the nice nursey and her large syringe. Beware, when it's done, everything is sooooo loud, it's scary. I need mine doing approx every six months cos i have crappy mucky ears. :sick01:

You should only clean round the outside area of the ear.

My mother always told us never to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. :laugh:

If it is wax causing the blockage you can get drops at the chemist to dissolve it. I think they are called Earex drops.

Edited by blackmagic

Nothing. The ears should be self cleaning. If they aren't.. then you need the help of the nice nursey and her large syringe. Beware, when it's done, everything is sooooo loud, it's scary. I need mine doing approx every six months cos i have crappy mucky ears. :sick01:

I've had it done before and the shite doesn't have any nurses, over here we still have mostly single GP practices, my ears are also crappy and mucky hence my cotton bud addiction, deeper means hidden in my ear world :laugh: it's only when I don't use them that I have problems imo :)

Thanks blackmagic, I'll try that I only edge around the ear with the cotton buds normally

Edited by nouggatti

Rohan got the lead of a pencil stuck in his ear. Apparently his ear was itchy in class so, in his wisdom, he decided to scratch it with the pointy end of his pencil. The pencil broke. Mid lug.

One trip to the doctor later, and the lead was removed. It was quite deeply embedded apparently.

Mind you, this is the kid that also stuck a drawing pin up his nose.

So no, never poke pointy things in your ears.

My sons ears are awful - he has a hopi ear candle done every 2 weeks in each ear. He can then hear fine for a little while.

We are atm waiting upon an app. with a consultant.

His wax production is so bad that each night it trickles outta his ears and the thicker stuff sticks his ear holes together :sick01: . Each morning its scrape, rub and scrub to get them clean for school :wacko:

when i was on placement with the practice nurse, they advised putting a drop of tepid/warm olive oil into each ear twice a day for 5-10 days before they could syringe them- a lot of the patients didnt need the syringing cos the oil melted the ear wax enough to dissolve the blockage- if it leaks use tissue to wipe it off but dont go inside the ear canal with anything :)

Another vote for warm olive oil. I get eczema in my ears, and when it flares up badly I end up with blocked ears and have to get them syringed. My Dr. doesn't prescribe drops anymore. Instead I have to use warm olive oil twice a day for a week, and then go and get them syringed. The olive oil seems to work just as well, and it doesn't sting me like the drops did.