UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Undertile Floor Heating

cassiespookymum

We are just re-doing our bathroom and I am very tempted to have undertile floor heating installed - we already have a radiator and the bathroom is quite small - does anyone have this?

Any advice on how good it is and whether its expensive to run - it's a matting that is run from electricity would be much appreciated. OH doesn't want to fit it and thinks it will be a waste of money!

Thank you

Claire

xx

We have it in the bathroom and it is lovely (and the cats like it too :) ). We didn't have it on all the winter before last as my husband was being mean :rolleyes: :D , but as our house it currently on the market we have had it on this year. Our electicity bill was in credit at the last bill so it cannot be costing us that much :)

Edited by Anniegirl

My brother fitted under floor heating all over and it was lovely. If we owned this house it would be the first thing I would have installed.

Go for it.

And think of all the wall space you will free up by not having rads everywhere.

Edited by Kathyw

I think there are two kinds of underfloor heating - the expensive one with water channels under the floor which is a central heating substitute, and the cheaper matting kind which just makes the floor nice to stand on.

We have the matting kind in our bathroom - it's lovely, and not very expensive to run. We have ours on a decent thermostat, so we can choose which hours of the day it is on and at what temperature, for each day of the week. We only have it on for a couple of hours in the morning and evening most days - not sure if it would get a lot more expensive if it was on all the time.

We did have to turn it down a bit though as Max decided she was going to sleep on the hot bathmat instead of her bed, which with a tiled floor underneath wasn't great for her joints as she is a bit old.

It wasn't hard to install - we had a tiler do ours in a day. You have to lay plywood first (6mm I think), then stick the matting to it, then tile over the top. We also had to get an electrician in to do all the wiring which was the most expensive bit.

I work for an underfloor heating company and have installed it in our conservatory. It heats the room without the need for any radiators and doesn't cost that much to run :) .

If you are looking to use it to heat the room be careful though, check the wattage, if it's less than 150 watts per m2 it won't be enough and you will still need a rad or heated towel rail. In fact you're probably best off doing a simple heat loss calculation (there's one on the b & q website) to see whether it would be sufficient.

The running costs will depend on the sub floor and a few other factors. If you have a concrete floor you should use some sort of insulated tile backer board before laying the heater to reduce heat up times, which in turn reduces the running costs.

If you want any help or advice drop me a pm x