UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Germand Shepherd Health Advice Pls

Natalie34

Hi

Although Lady had a vet check yesterday, and I had some concerns re. possible hip problems .... not because she had been showing signs, just I had been advised that GSDs do tend to suffer in old age.

Anyhow, the vet checked her and said she is fine. He wriggled and pulled her back legs around and found no signs of discomfort or any problems.

BUT

Today, just now, I took Lady on her usual walk, and throughout the 30 min walk, her right back leg gave way about 5 times ...... so now I am thinking, oh no she has a dodgy back leg?! The back leg only gave way for literally a second, as then she corrected her step and then carried on walking fine until the next time.

Do you have any advice to give please? Does this sound like she has a problem with her hips?

Her previous owners wrote a short letter and did not mention anything, and her previous vets notes don't show anything about possible problem, and today is the first day she has done it with me.

:)

Lady looks in good health to me in her photos, was described as being so by her last owner, you say that her previous vets notes show nothing and she has been confirmed as being so by your local vet, only yesterday, so whilst I haven't seen the action you describe I would suspect that you have had an idea put into your head and are now therefore looking for something that probably isn't there to be honest.

There are several conditions which can affect German Shepherds (& not always just older ones) but if lady had them I would expect that signs of those would have been noticed - quite possibly by you not just the vet. She's not dragging her legs (you'd see or hear it), showing an unusual gait, bounding with both back legs, or any sign of pain, difficulty getting up those stairs onto your bed etc is she?

If you still have any concerns then, do you perhaps have a cemera you could take a video clip of her with & send it to Cindy with your vets findings, assessment etc? :flowers:

Edited by Ian

Thank you :)

Was wondering if this a common sign for GSDs when there is something wrong with their hips.

Will ring Cindy and let her know, and get vets appointment asap for her.

Edited to say: thanks Ian, think our messages over lapsed.

You're right. I am probably being paranoid about every little thing now.

She is not showing any signs that you mentioned and there is no sound that she is in pain/discomfort. She is still get up and downstairs no problem.

I will monitor it and she how she gets on with her next couple of walks.

Don't think it will be very easy to catch on film cause its literally for a split second, and there is no sign of when its going to happen.

Thanks for advice :flowers:

Thanks Cindy :)

Will ring vets Monday and book her in for her dental and will mention about her back leg.

Will monitor how she is tonight walking and tomorrow.

Since the walk she has been up and downstairs no problem and happily laid in the lounge on her bed with us.

If things should changed for the worse I will give you a call. Thank you :flowers:

Something I meant to suggest you could try lifting Lady's back feet (just one at a time & I'd try the one you say she stumbled on first) and then trying to place it down upside down (ie so that she would be stood on the top of her foot rather than the pads).

Dont worry or try to force her if she won't let you (that's good). If she does let you then again don't worry you're just looking for whether she immediately rights it again or if not how long it takes her to do so - but from what can be seen in her photos & the descriptions so far I think she'll be fine & a lovely addition to your family :flowers:

Something I meant to suggest you could try lifting Lady's back feet (just one at a time & I'd try the one you say she stumbled on first) and then trying to place it down upside down (ie so that she would be stood on the top of her foot rather than the pads).

Dont worry or try to force her if she won't let you (that's good). If she does let you then again don't worry you're just looking for whether she immediately rights it again or if not how long it takes her to do so - but from what can be seen in her photos & the descriptions so far I think she'll be fine & a lovely addition to your family :flowers:

Hi Ian

Did as you suggested and she corrected both her feet immediately. I take it thats a good sign? :)

Yes it it, it suggests she knows how her legs should be, can feel if they are not right and is able to move to fix that.

Fingers crossed for the vet visit that she is just a bit clumsy, though 5 times in 30 mins does sound rather a lot.

Yes that's good Natalie - as Victoria has said it shows she has normal feeling in her legs.

I take it you've looked at her paws & made sure she has nothing in them, know she hasn't "banged her leg" or stood on anything sharp, been running harder / more than usual & wasn't just a little stiff etc?