UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Deaf Dog....or Is He?

JACKYSIAN

I've been having wobbles recently about Cromwell's hearing. He's always had selective hearing but recently he's not been so responsive. Last night went for a walk with my friend. Walked for miles and had a lovely time. Didn't see a soul for the whole time. On the way back to the car just spotted a BC and his owner ahead so I grabbed the Witch and Cooper and called to Cromwell. I'm not joking it took 2 minutes for him to react and I ended up really screaming his name, I said to my friend that I was very concerned about his hearing!

BUT when he eventually turned towards me, he quiet literally raised his eye brows, sighed and then sauntered over with a huge 'oh my god I was coming' look on his face!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone want a 14 year old pis* taking mutt???? :glare:

as you know Jed is completely deaf, so no help there but Toastie's deafness is (I think, having only got his history since November 2006) age related. Mostly he genuinely cannot hear anything, but I found by accident that he can hear a clicker, or a sharp hand clap or finger click.... might be worth sneaking up on Cromwell and talking quietly while someone else watches his face for any reaction, then try the bits Toastie can hear...

Edited by buddyboy

Anyone want a 14 year old pis* taking mutt???? :glare:

No thanks I've already got one :laugh: Scampi will take absloutely ages to come back sometimes even though I call him till I'm blue in the face, he doesn't always hear me when I come home anymore till I'm well indoors, but rattle his treat jar or go into fridge and he's first in the queue. :wub:

I've been having wobbles recently about Cromwell's hearing.

I thought I was daft about Sol but his Dad somehow manages to actually be worse! :rolleyes: We were having this exact conversation on Monday evening. As Sol was a stray with no history that is known to us, we both fret that he might be older than the vet et al estimate and are constantly looking for reasons to worry. As you do.

Sol's Dad thinks that his hearing is deteriorating. I know that it's improving!

Only the other weekend I was marvelling at the fact that Sol can hear me taking my left glove off when he's 50 yards away (eyes forward, so he's not seen me and I've been specifically testing this). Why my left glove I wonder? Coz that's the hand that goes in the treats pocket! :laugh: In all seriousness though it's more than the sound of the glove. I take my right glove off and he definitely hears it (I can tell by the set of his ears) but takes no other notice. It's the fact that when the left one comes off I unzip my pocket pretty much straight away afterwards - that's his "signal" for the offering of behaviours because he's pretty sure he'll get a treat if he looks at me and does what I might ask. It's usually a simple "down" at a distance or "come and sit". Just games and an excuse to reward which we both enjoy. No matter how quietly I unzip that pocket though, he can certainly hear it.

He's always had selective hearing but recently he's not been so responsive.

I think that's what Sol's doing to his Dad who gives him treats at regular intervals on walks as a matter of routine. Sol gets a gravy bone at a certain gateway (e.g.) and knows that he will. His Dad needs to make things a bit more random IMHO then Sol would be more focused on him - and a bit less "deaf"!

Funnily enough this morning I was in the shed getting their meat out of the freezer to defrost and accidently nudged the plastic bag holding the bones ....like a flash the old fella was by my side (last time I'd looked he was snuggled on the sofa in the lounge!! :laugh: :laugh: )

Alison, Cromwell does exactly the same thing! I only have to put my hand into my right pocket and he's there!!! :rolleyes:

Alison, Cromwell does exactly the same thing! I only have to put my hand into my right pocket and he's there!!! :rolleyes:

Cromwell does right pocket, Sol does left. I think we need to start varying things Jacky and make dog deafness/selective hearing disappear! :laugh: