UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal's Going To See The Oncologist Too Tomorrow

BillyMalc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, rather than getting answers we've now been given a few more "flavours" to choose from :wacko: :

They've taken extra skin samples, to make sure that it is indeed lymphoma, and not leishmania - as the lesions on his skin might actually suggest this, and it would also account for the white blood cell count apparently. Mal's been tested for this before, and the result was negative, but the disease can lie dormant for quite a few years. Then they've taken samples to test whether there are canceerous cells in his flanks as well as his mouth. Chest X-rays were clear but abdominal ultrasound revealed changes in his spleen, so they've been trying to find out what these are too.

So now we have 3 flavours. Mal has either:

leishmania or

T-cell lymphoma or

both

:huh:

The test results will be available by the end of the week, and they'll give me a call then to discuss options. One thing that gave me a bit of faith in whatever they might suggest was the oncologist's statement that they treat for quality of life - and that is exactly what I want for Mal.

It just means that we've got loads of different options (within the treatment of the lymphoma as well), and seeing as I took Mal in with a view to get some sort of 'final answer' I came out feeling completely :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

All in all we've still not got any definite results till the end of the week. At least he didn't have to stay over, I think the look of sheer horror on my face when he suggested "1 night maybe 2" made them decide to get the whole thing over and done with today.

Mal himself has got a very bald belly where they shaved him, and is sporting a nice blue piece of vetwrap where they took blood, but other than that doesn't seem to be the worse for wear. I found it quite telling though, that when he got home he went straight onto his sofa! :laugh: I swear, if he ever has to stay over, that sofa's got to come! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for all your messages of support, you have no idea how much they helped! :flowers:

I will update again once we've got a 'plan of action'.

Is leishmania the better option to have?

Not really, it's a bit of a case of "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" :( Leishmania would be most similar to HIV. Leishmania suppresses the immune system, so if he has both leishmania and lymphoma, were a bit F-ed for treatment options, because chemo would suppress the immune system as well. A bit of a double whammy in that case :(

However, Mal has happily scoffed a small bowl of food and another carton of "vitality refresher", which is a vile smelling substance that PAH sells and is similar to one of those '32 minerals' rehydration drinks for people. He's now back on his sofa, bless him and seems like his good old self :wub: :wub: Kiera has very gently examined him and has been very sweet and quiet, bless her :wub: :wub:

I'm absolutely shattered, so we'll be going for night time walkies and hopefully we'll all have a peaceful night. :sleep: