UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Earth Hour

BeadyP

Anyone who has used google will know about it already.

Between 8-9pm on 29 March, millions of people around the world will take part in Earth Hour 2008 – a WWF initiative asking people to turn their lights off for one hour.

It started with a question: how could WWF inspire people to take action on climate change?

The answer was to ask the people of Sydney to turn off their lights for one hour – Earth Hour.

Last March, in Sydney, 2.2 million people and 2,100 businesses did exactly that as a demonstration of their support for global action against climate change. Their inspirational collective effort reduced the city's energy consumption by a whopping 10.2% during that hour – equivalent to taking 48,000 cars off the road.

This year, Earth Hour has gone global with WWF-UK urging people across the United Kingdom to join in with millions of others across the world.

To promote Earth Hour across the country, WWF-UK has joined forces with GCap Media, the UK's largest commercial radio company. Working with GCap's One Network – involving 42 stations reaching more than 5.5 million listeners – WWF has been able to tap into local communities to support Earth Hour.

Famous UK buildings – from Brighton Pier to Highgrove House to the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth – have joined iconic global landmarks such as the San Francisco Bay Bridge and The Sears Tower in Chicago by promising to switch off for Earth Hour.

Join Earth Hour 2008

It's easy to become one of the millions of people worldwide involved in Earth Hour – and it can be great fun! From enjoying a candlelit pint in your local pub (if it is part of Earth Hour, of course!) to organising a party at your home with games in the dark, or simply taking time to look at the stars.

Whether you are inspired to encourage your town, community, pub, workplace or friends to sign up, join Earth Hour and be a part of a global phenomenon.

Do more

Switching off your lights for one hour isn't going to solve the challenge presented by climate change. If we really want to make a difference, we have to live the principles underlying Earth Hour every day.

Lobby UK government

The biggest difference that WWF-UK can make to climate change is to ensure that the UK continues to lead the way in tackling the issue through robust legislation. You can show your support for a strong Climate Change Bill.

The Climate Change Bill is one of the most important pieces of legislation ever to go before the UK Parliament. The UK government was the first in the world to table binding legislation committing to a 60% cut in carbon emissions by 2050. However, scientific evidence shows that we will need a reduction in the UK's CO2 of at least 80% by 2050 – including emissions from boats and planes – if we are to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What?? It says turn your lights off not anything else and I think sitting in the dark by myself for an hour may be rather boring :unsure:

you could try knitting in the dark for the whole hour,

then turn a light on and see wot you made, possible

a rolf harris moment (can you see what is is yet) !!!

just a thought :unsure:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I cant knit anything !!!

but I have a 42" chest and very broad shoulders

if anyone wants to do me a jumper :biggrin: :biggrin:

Uh oh, I can imagine people are going to volunteer to take your measurements in the dark.

Inside leg?

Sparkle, I imagine its whatever you feel comfortable with. Dont fret over it.

I think I'm going to have candles, and listening to nice music (which means using electricity).

But it will be something different.