UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advise Please

alisonsophieb

I need a shampoo for dry sensitive skin, I have been told coatex vet uk it’s £14 a bottle anyone know if there are any cheaper alternatives.

Also complete food can anyone suggest a good food to help sensitive dry skin?

I have been told to add oil of evening primrose to his food any one have experience of this or another suggestion for a supplement

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Alison :flowers:

Hiya

I find the best food for dogs with Sensitive skins is Burns. One of my staffords has terrible skin problems which was caused by food sensitivty and once we changed her onto burns the problem cleared up.

James Wellbeloved is also a very good food.

In terms of washing! DONT! this will just worsen the problem as water naturally drys the skin out. Dogs shouldnt be washed that often if it can be helped, unless of course they are rolling in muck etc.

My boy has been washed 4 times in four years and he has a beautiful gleaming coat and doesnt smell :)

Just agreeing with Lisa, if he's got a dry coat washing is the worst thing you can do, it will strip away any natural oils that are there. I've only ever washed both my dogs a handful of times and they don't smell, in fact they always smell very fresh and have lovely shiney coats :)

ps. Just to add, giving him a good brush every day will keep his coat clean and stimulate his skin to release his own oils

Edited by celeste

Do you know what is causing the sensitivity? It could be allergy related, so worth getting checked by a vet. Does your dog have flakey skin or is he sore and scratching?

Burns is a good food for skin problems as it is hypoallergenic, however unless you know what is causing the sensitive skin, it may not make any difference.

Oily fish like pilchards or sardines added to food can help. Vetzyme Conditioning tablets are meant to be good as they contain B vitamins which are good for the skin. My Dolly had very flakey skin when she started her first proper moult (she'd not lived indoors before I adopted her) and since being on the Vetzyme for about 2 weeks, her skin is much less flakey.

For shampoo, I've had good results using Malaseb, but this is also about £14 and I think only from vets. It is a 'local' anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic so starts working quickly, although to start you may need to use it every few days. A bottle does last a long time though.

To be honest, I would think finding the cause of the skin problem would be the best place to start - you could try different foods and different shampoo's and have slow or little results, whereas if you know what is causing the problem, it could well be easier to treat and manage :flowers:

I have been told to add oil of evening primrose to his food any one have experience of this or another suggestion for a supplement

Not doggie related but my son suffered terribly with eczema when he was very young. I wanted to avoid the use of steriods as much as possible so we convinced our doctor to prescribe evening primrose oil, it was fantastic! His skin was transformed within a few months.

As someone else has said oily fish and cod liver oil are also very good.

Hi everyone

thank you all for your replies.

Sorry I should have been a little clearer he is an EGAR dog. When he first arrived at Sarah he had terrible mange. Sarah has done a fantastic job with him and all his hair has grown back but this has left his skin dry.

He also gets a little stressed and as a result licks his front legs, one of the reasons he has come to me as a foster hopefully to a quieter environment.

I agree with not bathing a dog to often like you say only when necessary one of my girls loves to roll in fox poo so I think she has spent more time in the shower than myself. On the other hand one of my boys coming three now has never had a bath. It is only that he came across on Monday night and after being on the transporter for so long could do with a freshen up.

Burns, yes that is what I thought I used to feed my lot on burns but it got a little expensive at 15kg a week.

Oil of evening primrose my mum also takes as she has sensitive skin.

I have sardines in the cupboard as my cats have them for a treat I will defiantly try that.

Like I say he is a foster, Sarah has done a wonderful job of getting to look as good as he does, I would just love to be able get him looking his very best and to be able to pass on information to his forever home as to what suits him etc.

Alison :flowers:

wheres the piccies missis :laugh:

have a look at Berrimans food- rio and duds are on it and their coats have more shine than from the burns and their coats have gone lovely and soft- like they have been soaked in conditioner. Down side is that it's not much cheaper than burns, but they don't need the meat mixing in now as they eat the Berrimans on it's own so that saves quite a bit. :rolleyes:

I found a marked improvment in Archies itchy skin when i put him on Burgess Supadog Sensative which is half the price of Burns, but is also a gluten free, colourant free complete food.

Malacetic is a great shampoo but can only be prescribed by your vet and is only really effective for yeast type skin infections, and is slightly more in price than malaseb.

wheres the piccies missis :laugh:

have a look at Berrimans food- rio and duds are on it and their coats have more shine than from the burns and their coats have gone lovely and soft- like they have been soaked in conditioner. Down side is that it's not much cheaper than burns, but they don't need the meat mixing in now as they eat the Berrimans on it's own so that saves quite a bit. :rolleyes:

The pictures aren’t for your eyes Elaine, I remember our last conversation about tidgy tiny dogs well this is one of those. :laugh: my 16kg Gabriella looks huge against him he is just so cute

The pictures aren't for your eyes Elaine, I remember our last conversation about tidgy tiny dogs well this is one of those. :laugh: my 16kg Gabriella looks huge against him he is just so cute

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He may be tidgy but is still way too big for carole-anne! :wacko:

How big does christophers neck look in the pics!!! he looks like he hasn't finished growing into his skin yet either :wub:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He may be tidgy but is still way too big for carole-anne! :wacko:

How big does christophers neck look in the pics!!! he looks like he hasn't finished growing into his skin yet either :wub:

Yes well in good faith I offered a forever home to an poopie staffie boy called grub . Every day I question that but I have it on good authority. I wont mention any names but will give you a clue if you can fill in the missing blanks _ umpole :laugh: i want a re-fund :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: