UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Mysterious Tree

Alison

The thread title by no means excludes any other tree detectives here! :wink:

I'd promised this to horticultural ace Jackie yonks ago and as some of you may have seen, she's taken my request to nag me to Olympic standard :laugh: Sorry it's been so long coming Jackie.

The mystery began a while ago with a letter to my local parish news leaflet thingy that drops through the letterbox once a month. The excitement never stops around here I can tell you! (never really starts if I'm frank :rolleyes: ).

A lady's husband had bought her a little tree for Christmas and she wanted help identifying it. The description given was: "bright green fern-like leaves, larger and flatter than a yew. What struck hubby particularly was the bark which looks like bubbling chocolate".

The mystery has now been resolved (the February edition of Village Life was a thrilling one, I can tell you! :D ) but as a consequence I can give a couple more tantalising clues and a photo.

Again from the lady who wrote the original letter to Village Life: "It is easy to grow and not fussy about where it is planted. It can be grown in a pot in its early years and even coppiced to make a multi-stemmed tree. It has lots of unusual features; for example, it becomes dormant during the colder months and its growing buds develop a pink and white waxy coating".

Mysterytree.jpg

Can you see what it is yet? :unsure: Happy sleuthing, arboreal peeps!

plastic taboralis

as seen in my local greek restaurant-wot has a passion for freak of nature plastic "growths"

the plastic pink bits can be explained by left over fun string which is physically impossible to remove...often noticed in spring when the first major clean of the post new year extravaganza occurs....

fee

Did a net search and it must be what nougatti said, the Wollemi Pine, as the Metasequoia (Dawn Redwood) suggested by elricc doesn't have the bubbly bark.

The Wollemi Pine was only discovered in 1994.

But I am so taken with the easy to grow Dawn Redwood that I fancy getting some seeds.

They are shockingly expensive. :wacko:

They are but I expect they will come down in price considerably once there are plenty on the market. I hope so, I'd like one but couldn't afford one at current prices. In about 10 years time I expect they will be affordable.

I think it is a Wollemi Pine, I don't know what they look like as babies but that would be my guess based on the description of the bark.

I shall now have to find something else to nag you about :laugh:

Oh bum. I have a feeling that the new nag might be about that GSD that I "need" by my side :rolleyes:

The mystery tree is indeed a Wollemi Pine - well done to everyone who spotted it so quickly :liebe94:

My lurchers all live very happily with their GSD friends :)

They especially enjoy outsmarting the GSD's!

Sol gets along beautifully with GSDs (his 3rd fave girlfriend is a long-haired white) but please don't tell Jackie.

I've not reported her to the mods here because I daren't - she scares me too much - but I can tell you in confidence and off the record that she bullies me terribly :laugh:

Sol gets along beautifully with GSDs (his 3rd fave girlfriend is a long-haired white) but please don't tell Jackie.

I've not reported her to the mods here because I daren't - she scares me too much - but I can tell you in confidence and off the record that she bullies me terribly :laugh:

Yes it's clear from your posts that you literally quake in your boots at the mere sight of her username :laugh:

I'm sure Sol would love a permanent GSD partner :laugh:

Oh bum. I have a feeling that the new nag might be about that GSD that I "need" by my side :rolleyes:

Well, if you insist :laugh: It saves me thinking of something else

Just think of all you would gain by getting Sol a GSD girlfriend.

You wouldn't have to spend loads of money on bling cos she'd be dead 'ard and not want posh stuff. Two dogs are 20 times as much fund as one dog

Loads and loads of other things that I can't think of at the moment, as well as making Sol happy