UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Whats Not Your Type

Laurel n Hardy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt do small/toy breeds until I met my friends Mini-Dax who lives up in Newcastle - Heidi won me over with her Miss Diva attitude, I could quite happily dognap her, also my brother got a Lhaso Apsho end of last year, Ruby, she is just adorable and my Rottie, Murphy, is soooo in love with her :rolleyes:

I always thought I would only like wee hairy dugs until one day I met this mad woman who had a stall outside a local shop, she was collecting signatures and handing out information about the horrors of greyhound racing. With her she had a couple of her own hounds and I fell in love with them I thought they were absolutely stunning dogs. Unfortunately I could never have one because of one of my daughters allergies, she doesn't live here but she visits every day. Oh and the mad woman that I met for the first time that day was our very own Amanda ( greyhound pal ) who I think does an amazing job.

Terri

I used to be quite sure of the dogs I did & didn't like (or rather wouldn't want to live with) but after fostering for the oldies club I really don't have the same opinion, to me the breed has become much less important, I never saw myself with a large breed until I fostered a doberman/gsd cross & she was one of the nicest dogs I have ever had the pleasure of fostering.I didn't set out to adopt two heinz 57's either they just arrived & won me over, so I think although I like 'the look' of certain dogs more it is the personality for me everytime!

I didnt do Staffies :unsure: until I have just met one & fell in love with him, He's in kennels at the RSPCA in Warrington desperate for a home & such a loving boy. He has defo won my heart.

But I am a pointy fan :) & would love to own a greyhound. But I did go looking for a GSD & came back with a little black x breed girl, so i do tend to fall for every dog i see :unsure:

Quote (should say mantra) from my dear Pater: "never get involved with a red-headed woman or a chestnut horse".

Obviously Dad being Dad :rolleyes: he didn't heed his own advice and had - still has - both, but I could see his point; both were bonkers, stroppy, recalcitrant individuals (and bear in mind that one of the aforesaid is my mother! :laugh: ).

Gingas were out for me, full stop, forever. For a person who likes an easy life, they were never going to be for me.

But then of course Sol came along..........and I'm a complete, nay evangelical, convert! :D :wub:

It'd take a lot to persuade me to share my life with a slobbery dog though, those ones with long, floppy dewlaps who drool and foam. :sick02:

Greyhounds :rolleyes: Too skinny to cuddle, and as I only ever saw pictures of them racing, i mistakenly believed they were nasty.

I was exactly the same, as a committed cat person when my baby went to Rainbow Bridge and I thought about a dog, greyhounds came to mind because I knew their terrible situation but thought they were boney, not cuddable and hard work. It took going to a GAL walk and seeing those big soulful eyes and gentle disposition to make me realise I was wrong.

When my boy first arrived I admit I was a little freaked by his hairless, suede like tummy, now I adore it - and him - I now get furious when I hear people say greyhounds are not cuddly because they are the biggest cuddle monsters you can meet.

I can't imagine having another breed - even though I have green eye when I see people with perfect offlead pups in the park. Greyhounds really are for life!

I have to upset all the pointy people here and say that I used to think greyhounds were quite ugly - all long and pointy and skinny. I adopted my first one because there seemed to be so many looking for homes, and it was despite their looks not because of them.

It took me a very short time after adopting my first grey to decide they were totally beautiful - I love their grace, their speed and those gentle eyes that bore into your sole.

It'd take a lot to persuade me to share my life with a slobbery dog though, those ones with long, floppy dewlaps who drool and foam. :sick02:

:ohno02: Do you mean boxers? They are lovely dogs you know, though they are getting older themselves & their last passed on recently my aunt & uncle had them for most of my lifetime & just look at Daisy our boxer x http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36170 - who could refuse that little face?