UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Blocked Anal Glands

amanda72

I am going to have to take Maddie back to the vets, she is chewing the back end again, she did the same thing about 6wks ago, had steroids and had her glands emptied. She has all bran or weetabix with her food, so she is getting enough fibre, any ideas as to what I can do to stop this happening again? :unsure:

Unfortunately some dogs are just prone to it. My old cavvie used to have hers emptied regularly. Eventually she had them removed as they kept getting blocked and infected. she was fine after that (although its not an easy decision to make as some dogs do get complications with having their anal glands removed).

My oldie Cairn has hers emptied every 3 months - she seems to get worse with age.

Poor Maddie - not a nice thing for her to have done :GroupHug:

I am going to have to take Maddie back to the vets, she is chewing the back end again, she did the same thing about 6wks ago, had steroids and had her glands emptied. She has all bran or weetabix with her food, so she is getting enough fibre, any ideas as to what I can do to stop this happening again? :unsure:

If you feel comfortable giving her raw bones to chew, that will help the problem as it makes the stools bigger and therefore expresses the anal glands. Having said that my raw fed old border collie had terrible problems and ended up having them removed BUT that is not a decision to take lightly.

Anne, Barty & Chloe

Amy, one of our Bridge dogs, had major problems and was only spared surgery because we got her to a homeopathic vet who got things under control.

Can you learn to express them yourself? It's easy with some dogs and tricky with others depending on how the glands are placed.

I hope bones work. Bertie has dodgy anal glands and he's been reared on a raw diet, for some dogs its just genetic. He has his daily bran as well but he's already bum scooting and he only had his expressed about a month ago. My vet has offered to teach me how to express them, although its not something I relish I think it is going to be something I have to learn how to do. :sick01:

Our JR has this problem but his is a nightmare - he just flares up over night and then become really sore and infected and as we're not with him allday we don't always see the signs.

On friday hes due to has his removed as I think in the long run it will be better for him as his frequently block up :(

Hope you can get your sorted though :)