UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Windows Vista Anyone Have It?

Kathyw

I have a new laptop (thank you to Kazz and HLGS) for advice.

Laptop came with Vista and I don't like it. I cannot password protect documents etc.

Can I change to XP please?

Also internet explorer is causing problems. I am connected but it 'cannot display the page' this happens all the time.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you :flowers:

I have a new laptop (thank you to Kazz and HLGS) for advice.

Laptop came with Vista and I don't like it. I cannot password protect documents etc.

Can I change to XP please?

Also internet explorer is causing problems. I am connected but it 'cannot display the page' this happens all the time.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you :flowers:

Not sure how to password protect individual documents, never had to do it but you might find your security settings are too high which is stopping IE from working.

If you have other users on your computer at start up just have a password that only you can get into, and say if kids want to use it let them share the computer with their own password.. i also have vista and yes you can have both operating systems, however sooner or later vista is the way forward and its best to keep trogging on with it, we have two lappys with it and damn thing stores stuff in different places and does me head in :wacko:

None off those options worked, thanks for trying anyway Murtle.

There was no option to save in windows and the tools didn't give any 'protect this document' options either.

Quick frankly I am not impressed with vista, I think it's cr*p. I prefer XP as you could password protect documents.

No one else uses my computer but I just prefer to protect my documents and vista makes it nigh on impossible.

Kathy, if you have a password set up to log into the machine, and you put your documents into your My documents folder, they are all protected by the main account password anyway. You don't need to do them individually, they are all protected by default. In XP they would not be protected by default.

You can also set permissions for various types of user to read, write, modify or execute each file (right click on the file, then choose properties, and click the security tab). Or you can 'add to encrypted archive' if you want to be extra secure.

There are some downsides to Vista, mostly having to learn new ways of doing things, but my experience so far has been that it protects things with incredible if somewhat irritating enthusiasm.