UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are We Overdoing It?

EGAR

Just a few thoughts cause it's late :D.

When I was a child no one wormed/vacc'd their dogs. Very few peeps had them in the house. Yet these dogs lived in most cases to an ancient age (16. 2 x 17 and 19 years, just four cases from my neighbourhood back then). Now I appreciated that some diseases like Parvo didn't come to the fore until the late 1970's but still it makes me wonder.

I am not saying stop worming and vaccing by no means but I wonder what other peeps experiences where *back then*.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I well remember cycling to the slaughterhouse every Friday to get *scraps* for our dog *yikes*.

I'm a raw feeder (I don't mean that I eat raw meat myself :laugh: :laugh: ) some of the stuff I feed my beasts could be considered "scraps" - chicken carcasses, pigs trotters, tripe......they look good on it and we're not at the vets very often - twice in three years with two dogs.

This is just an observation.

I often wonder this myself.

When I was about 12 we got a little terrier. She was never spayed (never had any litters), she got her first vax and dont think she ever got any boosters after that and I dont think she was ever wormed. I dont remember ever buying dog food of any description for her. She lived to the grand age of 18 and a half. She was stone deaf and blind in one eye and we had to have her PTS as she had a heart attack and a stroke and, with the age she was, it was kinder to let her go rather than put her on medication. Now she was an indoor dog and my Dad's little follower. He used to bring her to the pub and the barman would fill an ashtray with Guinness for her.

When she had the heart attack, we then found out where the vets was.

How times change. All my dogs and cats are neutered, regularly wormed, get annual boosters and are fed expensive food. Are they actually better off? I dont really know??

My childhood dog, and my soul dog, Butch, was fed dog food and scraps..he never had any vaccinations and again rarely at the vets..he lived till he was 18..a big Golden Retriever he was.. and then we HAD to have him pts as his body was just too old..his heart etc was still strong as anything! his legs had failed him :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

it does make you wonder doesn't it??

all the local dogs were latchkey ones, local kids knew which ones to avoid, and knew every dog by name, vax were unheard of, our dogs grew old with us

I don't remember seeing many pedigree dogs when I was a kid - most were mutts - wonder if that made a difference to how long they lived and their health?

Lots of GSD, Dachshounds, Schnauzers, Boxers and Heinz57 in my neighbourhood back then and one breed we all thought was a mutt but it actually was a pedigree dog: a Hovawart whose owner was dead chuffed about his expensive dog..

Oh, and we all knew as well which ones to avoid. I got bitten by a Dachshound once when I took a shortcut and when I came home complaining my father hit me on the head for being so stupid.