UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Training Dogs To Detect Hypoglycaemia

rmb3971

Hi wonder if any of you wise fugees out there can shed any light in this direction please????

My old collie girlie Floss could always detect when my 'type 1 diabetic OH' was in the early stages of a 'hypo', especially at night, which was extrememly useful at times.

Sadly however the basis for her letting me know was that she was frightened by it, which of course was not at all pleasant for her.

I know that dogs can be trained specifically to detect the onset of an epileptic fit or other medical alerts, and I was given the name of a lady who trained dogs to detect hypoglycaemia but was never successful in getting in touch with her. I think she worked for a charity to which you can apply for a trained assistance dog with specific skills, but this is a huge step further than our situation warrants.

However I am just really interested/curious to find out how you go about training a dog to do this, in the hope that our dogs Robbie or Remmi might one day be encouraged to be sensitive towards it in a positive way.

If anyone has read anything or has any suggestions I'd be delighted to hear.

Everything on t'internet seems to be American and no sign of clues about the training principles used.

I know it is almost unheard of to train a person's own dog. But I'd love to try or at least know how it was done.

I did find this 'pay to view' article title "Canine detection of hypoglycaemic episodes whilst driving" on an American website, which amused my silly sense of humour as I pictured a collie taking over at the wheel, and some poor bloke pushed into passenger seat! cheesy.gif

Many thanks

Roz