UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Curry Crisis?

sanrossscot

Quote from Vine website

CURRY CRISIS?

The founder of the British Curry Awards has said that tough new immigration laws are forcing Indian restaurants to take on unskilled workers from the UK or EU, rather than trained chefs from South Asia.

BBC Linky

What do you think?

I feel that as long as the food is good, does it matter who cooked it? :D

If this was done the opposite way round and places serving trad British food only employed white UK borns (on the basis that a lot of Asians are British) there would be a huge protest surely. :unsure:

He talked about the 'younger generation' not wanting to go into the industry - join the rest of the world mate, that's what happens. Be brave take on a young person from anywhere and teach them how to cook good Indian food.

Edited by sanrossscot

I reckon the 'trained South Asian chefs' would be getting the same minimum wage as the 'unskilled British' here, but the chefs being used to South Asian wages would think it a lot of money?

Everyone knows that the wages and working conditions in the catering industry are sh!te and I reckon the restaurant holders just want a lot of skill for very little money. :unsure:

My local indian resturant owner has recently been prosecuted for flouting immigration laws. I think laws should apply to everyone and it'srubbish about needing trained chefs, they want cheap labour x

I disagree. One of my major clients runs Indian restaurants. For each restaurant he opens, he flies to India to recruit staff - he finds the best chefs and brings them over here under immigration guidelines - he cannot find those chefs here, he says. They are paid as english staff and provided with accommodation as part of their work contract. I don't have a problem with it - and the food is fab.

I disagree. One of my major clients runs Indian restaurants. For each restaurant he opens, he flies to India to recruit staff - he finds the best chefs and brings them over here under immigration guidelines - he cannot find those chefs here, he says. They are paid as english staff and provided with accommodation as part of their work contract. I don't have a problem with it - and the food is fab.

In those circs, fine. But they also seem to want kitchen porters etc from the same places, bring the trained chefs over by all means but also ensure they go on a course to learn English. That way they could work with kitchen workers with a common language (as many 'foreign' people have a reasonable standard of English)

I would feel the same if I wanted to go live in a country where English was not the first language, I think it would be justified to have to learn a decent standard of spoken & written language for that country.

I thought most of the dishes they cooked had been specifically designed for the English palate ie chicken tikka masala is a made up dish not known in India.If this is the case surely English born Asians would be just as good at cooking it as Asian born Asians.Maybe I'm oversimplifying.

As for the rest,rules are rules and are made for a reason.If we blur the boudaries for one sector of the community then everyone will expect it.